by Bryan Autullo, FAST Public Relations, image courtesy of Mike Campbell
FREMONT, OH (5-1-10)
With 30 winged 410 sprint cars signed in at Fremont Speedway’s season opener, it would be no easy task for any driver to find his way to victory lane with the deep talent pool that exists in Northern Ohio. The legendary Fremont Speedway has spawned many of the top names in sprint car racing over the years and that tradition runs deep at “The Track That Action Built.” With Fremont’s new A-main line up format, Todd Kane and Rob Chaney found themselves sitting on the front row of the main event for Night #4 of Kistler Racing Products Fremont/Attica Sprint Title competition.
When the green flag waved, Chaney grabbed the initial lead with Kane, Mark Keegan, Byron Reed and Bryan Sebetto falling in behind. Chaney had a comfortable lead over Kane when the caution flew on lap 7 for Sheldon Haudenschild. On the restart the caution would come out once again for Jody Keegan. As yellow flag waved, Chaney and Kane somehow got together on the front stretch ending the night for Chaney and sending Kane to the tail. Mark Keegan would inherit the lead with Byron Reed, Phil Gressman, Bryan Sebetto, and Kevin Lee making up the Top 5 spots. On the restart, Keegan pulled out to a sizeable lead with Reed in second. Gressman, Sebetto and Lee were putting on a show for the fans for the 3rd spot.
With 15 laps in the books, Reed began stalking Keegan in every corner as they raced side by side through turns three and four. Gressman and Sebetto still battled for 3rd through traffic until the final caution flew on lap 21. It looked like Reed would have a shot at Keegan on the restart, but Keegan managed to pull away and looked to be well on his way to his 60th career victory at Fremont. However, Reed didn’t see it that way. Reed dove under Keegan in turn 2 to steal the lead on lap 26. He never looked back as he pulled away from the veteran Keegan. Reed took the checkers with Keegan, Gressman, Lee and Craig Mintz rounding out the Top 5.
“A couple of restarts earlier I tried to tuck right up under him and I wheelied real bad because of the dirty air, so I gave myself a little more space so I wouldn’t upset my car. I really wasn’t sure how to go through three and four so I finally just went to the top and tried as hard as I could. I was probably about the same as Mark down there but I was beating him in one and two. It’s a privilege to run against Mark. He’s a legend around here and one of the guys I really look up to,” said Reed in victory lane.
Kistler Racing Products FAST Night #4 – Fremont Speedway – 5/1/2010
1. 27-Scott Euler, 12.43; 2. 53-Phil Gressman, 12.48; 3. 10-David Harrison, 12.49; 4. 3J-Kevin Lee, 12.50; 5. 15C-Chris Andrews, 12.53; 6. 5R-Byron Reed, 12.55; 7. 5T-Travis Philo, 12.59; 8. 16-Bryan Sebetto, 12.59; 9. X-Mark Keegan, 12.61; 10. 9Z-Duane Zablocki, 12.61; 11. 312-Mike Linder, 12.62; 12. 60-Jody Keegan, 12.66; 13. 20X-Craig Mintz, 12.72; 14. 22-Cole Duncan, 12.74; 15. 9X-Rob Chaney, 12.76; 16. 2+-Brian Smith, 12.77; 17. 28K-Todd Kane, 12.78; 18. 24H-Lee Jacobs, 12.80; 19. 26-Cody White, 12.86; 20. 11M-Brandon Martin, 12.88; 21. 28-Shawn Valenti, 13.00; 22. 11B-Brock Mayes, 13.05; 23. 93-Sheldon Haudenschild, 13.07; 24. 4K-Kody Kinser, 13.10; 25. 14H-Todd Heller, 13.11; 26. O-Bill Morrison, 13.48; 27. 11-Josh Harrison, 13.79; 28. 26X-Rodney Hurst, 13.83; 29. 47-Caleb Helms, NT; 30. 5I-John Ivy, NT
Heat 1 – Heat 1 (8 Laps – Top 4 Transfer)
1. 28K-Todd Kane; 2. X-Mark Keegan; 3. 28-Shawn Valenti; 4. 20X-Craig Mintz; 5. 27-Scott Euler; 6. 14H-Todd Heller; 7. 15C-Chris Andrews
Heat 2 – Bell Racing Products (8 Laps – Top 4 Transfer)
1. 11B-Brock Mayes; 2. 5R-Byron Reed; 3. 53-Phil Gressman; 4. 24H-Lee Jacobs; 5. 9Z-Duane Zablocki; 6. O-Bill Morrison; 7. 5I-John Ivy; 8. 22-Cole Duncan
Heat 3 – Heat 3 (8 Laps – Top 4 Transfer)
1. 26-Cody White; 2. 9X-Rob Chaney; 3. 93-Sheldon Haudenschild; 4. 312-Mike Linder; 5. 10-David Harrison; 6. 5T-Travis Philo; 7. 11-Josh Harrison
Heat 4 – Heat 4 (8 Laps – Top 4 Transfer)
1. 60-Jody Keegan; 2. 16-Bryan Sebetto; 3. 11M-Brandon Martin; 4. 2+-Brian Smith; 5. 4K-Kody Kinser; 6. 26X-Rodney Hurst; 7. 3J-Kevin Lee
B-Main – (10 Laps – Top 4 Transfer)
1. 27-Scott Euler; 2. 3J-Kevin Lee; 3. 10-David Harrison; 4. 15C-Chris Andrews; 5. 14H-Todd Heller; 6. 4K-Kody Kinser; 7. 5I-John Ivy; 8. 22-Cole Duncan; 9. 47-Caleb Helms; 10. O-Bill Morrison; 11. 11-Josh Harrison; 12. 9Z-Duane Zablocki; 13. 5T-Travis Philo; 14. 26X-Rodney Hurst
A-Main – (30 Laps) [#]-Starting Position
1. 5R-Byron Reed; 2. X-Mark Keegan; 3. 53-Phil Gressman; 4. 3J-Kevin Lee; 5. 20X-Craig Mintz; 6. 16-Bryan Sebetto; 7. 11M-Brandon Martin; 8. 11B-Brock Mayes; 9. 27-Scott Euler; 10. 312-Mike Linder; 11. 15C-Chris Andrews; 12. 24H-Lee Jacobs; 13. 14H-Todd Heller; 14. 2+-Brian Smith; 15. 28K-Todd Kane; 16. 26-Cody White; 17. 93-Sheldon Haudenschild; 18. 9X-Rob Chaney; 19. 60-Jody Keegan; 20. 10-David Harrison
Night #4 FAST Special Award Winners:
Butlerbuilt B-Main Winner: #27 Scott Euler
KSE Steering Hard Charger: #11b Brock Mayes
Weld Wheels Cool Move of the Race: #5r Byron Reed
Hepfner Racing Products Tough Luck Award: #9z Duane Zablocki
Night #4 FAST A-Main Certificate Winners:
1st – Fuel Safe, Zemco Headers, Competition Suspension: #5r Byron Reed
2nd – R2C Filters, Saldana Racing Products, Kinsler Injections: #X Mark Keegan
3rd – Ti22 Performance, Keizer Wheels, OC Shocks: #53 Phil Gressman
4th – Outerwears, King Racing Products: #3j Kevin Lee
5th – DMI Race Components: #20x Craig Mintz
Visit www.fastondirt.com to find out more about the F.A.S.T. Championship Series, the drivers, the rules, the schedule, the sponsors, and more.
FAST on Dirt, Inc. would like to thank the following contributors to the 2010 FAST Championship Series point fund:
Kistler Racing Products, Engine Pro, JE/SRP Pistons, Design Graphics Group, Inc, KS Sales & Service, Engler Machine & Tool, Oliver Rods, Henry MotorSports Inc., J&F Construction, Black Swamp Media Group, MyHeroCards.com, Kears Speed Shop, Computer Man, Inc., SCS Gearbox, RockAuto.com, Hoserville Ohio, Hoseheads.com, Level Performance, R&R Auto Wrecking, Reebar Diecasting, The King’s Den, FSR Radiator, Real Geese, Buckeye IT Services, High Vista Video, Racers Racing for a Cure, Gressman Powersports, NAPA (Bryan, OH), Gaerte Engines, Action Photos, PostNet (Fremont, OH), New York Life (Jeremy Shambaugh), Young’s RV Center, October Hills Farms, and OC Shocks
Also, a very special thanks to all of our contingency award sponsors:
R2C Filters, Hepfner Racing Products, TQ Fiberglass, Fuel Safe, Racing Optics, Rocket Headers, Wings Unlimited, VRP Shocks, Kinsler Injections, RAM Engineering Midwest, PRO Shocks, ButlerBuilt, Zemco Headers, Kinser Filters, Outerwears, Inc, DMI Race Components, Keizer Wheels, Linders Speed Equipment, Saldana Racing Products, XXX Race Components, Randy’s Racing Filters, Hinchman Indy Uniforms, King Racing Products, Golden Graphics, OC Shocks, Weld Wheels, KSE Steering, Competition Suspension, Inc, Ti22 Performance, All Pro Heads, FSR Radiator, Speed Meets Art, Productive Tools & Equipment, Arizona Sport Shirts, and Fisher Performance