From Tony Veneziano
McCool Junction, NE-June 22, 2010- The World of Outlaws have driven past Junction Motor Speedway quite a few times over the last six years, traveling up and down US 81, but have never made a stop at the high-banked 3/8-mile located in McCool Junction, Nebraska. That will all change this weekend as the series visits the state-of-the-art facility for the first time ever on Friday, June 25 for a full night of racing as a swing through the Midwest continues.
Joey Saldana leads the way having won the most recent World of Outlaws event this past Sunday and is also is the current point leader on the strength of a series leading six A-Feature wins to go along with a series-best 20 Top-Five finishes. The second generation driver has one career win with the World of Outlaws in Nebraska and has finished eighth or better in 16 of his last 18 starts in the state. Saldana currently holds a 56-point advantage over Steve Kinser in the standings as he chases his first title.
Kinser, the 20-time World of Outlaws champion, has won 30 times in his career in the state of Nebraska, with the first of those coming in 1980. He won his first World of Outlaws race in the Cornhusker state in 1982. The Hall of Famer has won three times this season including last weekend in North Dakota and is currently second in points as he seeks his record 21st title. He has one career start at Junction Motor Speedway, finishing third in 2006.
Donny Schatz, the four-time and defending World of Outlaws champion, has four wins in Nebraska with the most recent of those coming in 2006. He has won twice this season and is currently fifth in points. He’ll be making his debut at Junction Motor Speedway.
Jason Meyers, who is currently third in points, and who is tied for the series lead with six wins this season is looking for his first win in Nebraska. He has one career start at Junction Motor Speedway, finishing sixth at the track in 2006.
Chad Kemenah won at Junction Motor Speedway in 2005 with the All Star Circuit of Champions and was sixth in his debut at the track the year before.
The event at Junction Motor Speedway on Friday, June 25 will be the second of three inaugural events this season for the World of Outlaws as the series continues to add to a vast list of facilities that have hosted races over the last 32 years.
* Chad Kemenah won at Junction Motor Speedway in 2005 and finished sixth in his debut at the track in 2004. He is the only driver competing full-time with the series this season that has raced more than once at the track.
* Danny Lasoski finished second at Junction Motor Speedway in his debut at the 3/8-mile in 2006. He was won in Nebraska last year with the World of Outlaws at Eagle Raceway.
* Steve Kinser finished third in his first visit to the track in 2006. He has won at four tracks in the state of Nebraska for a total of 30 wins in his illustrious career.
* Jason Meyers, who is tied for the lead with six wins this season, finished sixth in his debut at Junction Motor Speedway in 2006. He has 16 career Top-10 finishes in the state of Nebraska.
* Jason Sides, who is currently fourth in the World of Outlaws championship standings and has won twice this year, raced at Junction in 2006. The veteran won earlier this season in an inaugural event at Tri-City Speedway in Pennsylvania.
* Paul McMahan raced at Junction in 2006 and has 15 career Top-10 finishes in the state of Nebraska. He has one win this season aboard the No 91 for Kasey Kahne Racing.
* Sam Hafertepe Jr. competed at Junction Motor Speedway in 2005 and is one of seven drivers competing full-time with the World of Outlaws that has raced at the track.
* Drivers that will be making their debut at Junction Motor Speedway include: Donny Schatz, the four-time and defending World of Outlaws champion, Joey Saldana, Jac Haudenschild, Lucas Wolfe, Craig Dollansky, Kraig Kinser, Brian Ellenberger, Ben Gregg and Toni Lutar.
By the Numbers: Junction Motor Speedway
0.375 – Miles around Junction Motor Speedway
1- Race in the state of Nebraska this season for the World of Outlaws
5- Track records established in time trials at World of Outlaws events this season
6- Wins for Joey Saldana & Jason Meyers this season to lead the series
7- Drives competing full-time with the World of Outlaws that have competed at Junction Motor Speedway
9- Drivers competing full-time with the World of Outlaws this season that will be visiting Junction Motor Speedway for the first time
12- Drivers that have won A-Feature events with the World of Outlaws this season; Drivers that have won feature events with the series in the state of Nebraska dating back to 1979
14.340 – Track record at Junction Motor Speedway established by Randy Hannagan in 2005
16- Drivers competing full-time with the World of Outlaws this season
20- Top-Five finishes for Joey Saldana this season to lead the series
21- Drivers that have led laps in feature events this season
25- Top-10 finishes for Steve Kinser this season to lead the series
27- A-Feature events contested by the World of Outlaws through June 20
56- Points that separate Joey Saldana and Steve Kinser at the top of the standings entering this weekend
90- Feet of racing width in the corners at Junction Motor Speedway
168- Laps led by Joey Saldana through June 20 to lead the series
1979- Year the World of Outlaws first raced in the state of Nebraska
10,000- Dollars the winner will receive on Friday, June 25
51,690- Dollars in the total purse on Friday, June 25
128,900- Dollars earned by Joey Saldana this season to lead the series
On Friday, June 25 at Junction Motor Speedway, general admission tickets will be $30 for adults in advance and $35 the day of the race, with general admission tickets for children ages 6-12 $15, while kids five-under admitted free of charge in the general admission section. Adult reserved tickets will be $33 in advance and $35 the day of the race, with reserved tickets for children ages 12-under $15 in advance and $15 the day of the race. Pit combos are also available for advance purchase only for $38, which includes a reserved ticket and a pit pass. For tickets call SLS Promotions at 815-344-2023 or the track at 402-773-5538 ext 539.