GRAIN VALLEY, Mo. (July 15, 2017) — In a race that saw four different leaders, Wyatt Burks made a late race pass of Zach Daum to pick up his second POWRi Lucas Oil WAR Sprint win of the season Saturday, July 15 at Valley Speedway.
Chris Parkinson started on the pole of the feature event and would take the lead as the green flag dropped over Clinton Boyles, Danny Thoman, and Korey Weyant. With a lap in the books, the race’s only caution would come out for Craig Carroll, who stopped with a flat left rear. After having it replaced, he was able to rejoin the field at the back of the pack.
Parkinson would lead lap two as Boyles got a good run and moved into the lead on lap three. Boyles would lead for two laps, but his night would come to an end as he pulled into the infield with a packed right rear.
Daum, who found the bottom of the raceway to his liking and had moved up to second, would assume the lead. With Daum out front, Burks moved past Parkinson and into second. Lap by lap, Burks tried to find a line to move past Daum, but to no avail.
On lap twenty three, in heavy lapped traffic, Burks was able to use the middle line of the raceway past Daum and into the lead. He would go on to lead the last three laps to pick up his fifth career POWRi Lucas Oil WAR Sprints win in the RCB Motorsports/Clem Signs/Bumper to Bumper/Jadon’s Hope Foundation Salina-powered Maxim. Daum would edge Cody Baker at the flagstand to run second in his Daum Crop Insurance/5D Composites/Bell Helmets/Hinchman Indy Eagle. Baker was third in the Ultra-Shield/Hinchman Racewear/Bell Helmets Maxim with Ott power. Parkinson was a solid fourth in his Country Kids Daycare/54th Street Bar and Grill/Design Source Flooring/Kansas City Mavericks DRC with Kevin’s Liberty Machine power. Rounding out the top five was Indy Race Parts Hard Charger Joe B. Miller, who won the B-Main and started seventeenth in his SEMO Services/Insights Wildlife Nutrition Speed Shack-powered Maxim. Running sixth was sixteenth starter Ty Hulsey as he was followed by Rob Caho Jr. and Weyant. Rounding out the top ten were Ryan Kitchen and Taylor Walton.
The POWRi Lucas Oil WAR Sprints will next be in action on Friday, July 28 as they make a return to Valley Speedway. They will follow up with a trip to the Springfield Raceway in Springfield, Missouri on Saturday, July 29.
Next weekend, the POWRi Lucas Oil WAR East Sprints will run on Friday, July 21 at the Champaign County Fairgrounds in Champaign, Illinois. The event will be filmed and televised later this year as part of Dirty 30 on MAVTV. The following night, they will make their first ever appearance at the Spoon River Speedway in Canton, Illinois.
POWRi Lucas Oil WAR Sprint League
Valley Speedway – 27 cars
Hinchman Racewear Heat 1 – 8 laps
1. 77-Clinton Boyles, Greenwood, MO (2); 2. 65-Chris Parkinson, Gladstone, MO (3); 3. 24H-Ty Hulsey, Owasso, OK (1); 4. 8D-Terry Babb, Decatur, IL (6); 5. 21C-Brian Beebe, Oak Grove, MO (4); 6. 93-Steve Mahannah, Springfield, MO(5); 7. 77H-Rob Hockett, Lone Jack, MO (DNS)
Wilwood Disc Brakes Heat 2 – 8 laps
1. 5D-Zach Daum, Pocahontas, IL (6); 2. 7JR-JD Black, Grain Valley, MO (2); 3. 38-Cody Baker, Lone Jack, MO (4); 4. 27X-Tucker Klaasmeyer, Paola, KS (5); 5. 78-Rob Caho Jr, Wyoming, MN (7); 6. 2-Zach Clark, Lenexa, KS (1); 7. 10-Will Register, Green Ridge, MO (3)
Bell Helmets Heat 3 – 8 laps
1. 99-Korey Weyant, Springfield, IL (3); 2. 23-Brent Fasse, Independence, MO (2); 21- Ryan Kitchen, Lincoln, NE (4); 4. Craig Carroll, Collinsville, OK (5); 5. 41-Brad Wyatt, Kearney, MO (7); 6. 82-Vinny Ward, Warrenton, MO (1); 7. 88-Chad Tye, Independence, MO (6)
Schure Built Suspensions Heat 4 – 8 laps
1. 11W-Wyatt Burks, Topeka, KS (4); 2. 27-Danny Thoman, Lexington, MO (5); 3. 93X-Taylor Walton, Warrensburg, MO (2); 4. 70-Pete Palazzolo, Pacific, MO (1); 5. 51B-Joe B. Miller, Millersville, MO (6); 6. 42 -Warren Johnson, Overland Park, KS (3)
B-Main – 12 laps
1. 51B-Joe B. Miller (2); 2. 70-Pete Palazzolo (3); 3. 41-Brad Wyatt (1); 4. 21C-Brian Beebe(4); 5. 42-Warren Johnson (6); 6. 88-Chad Tye (7); 7. 93-Steve Mahannah (5); 8. 82-Vinny Ward (8); 9. 10-Will Register (9); 10. 2-Zach Clark (DNS)
POWRi Lucas Oil WAR Sprints A-Main – 25 laps
1. 11W-Wyatt Burks (5); 2. Zach Daum (6); 3. Cody Baker (9); 4. 65-Chris Parkinson (1); 5. 51B-Joe B. Miller (17); 6. 24H-Ty Hulsey (15); 7. Rob Caho Jr. (16); 8. 99-Korey Weyant (4); 9. 21-Ryan Kitchen (10); 10. 93X-Taylor Walton (12); 11. 7JR-JD Black (7); 12. 21C-Brian Beebe (20); 13. 8D-Terry Babb (11); 14. 23-Brent Fasse (8); 15. 24C-Craig Carroll (14); 16. 27-Danny Thoman (3); 17. 70-Pete Palazzolo (18); 18. 41-Brad Wyatt (19); 19. 77-Clinton Boyles (2); 20. 27X-Tucker Klaasmeyer (13)