From Ohsweken Speedway
KYLE MOFFIT SCORES WIN #2 AT OHSWEKEN TAKING THE CANADIAN NATIONALS “OHSWEKEN SHOOTOUT” QUALIFIER by Tommy Goudge (August 27, 2010) – One hundred twenty racing machines filled Ohsweken Speedway’s pit area for the eleventh round of Friday Night Thunder this week. Kyle Moffit claimed his second Corr/Pak Merchandising Sprint Car feature win of the season on HRW Automotive “Goodbye to Summer” night. With the win, Moffit will be the CORR/Pak representative in the “Village Pizza – Ohsweken Shootout” which opens up the “Night Before The Nationals” show on Friday, September 17. Travis Cunningham, who finished 2nd will be the other CORR/Pak representative in the 10 lap affair which pits the best from the five affiliate sanctioning bodies in a head to head battle.
Derek Moore won the Mod-Lite Stars Championship Tour North feature, Jamie Cox got his third ESSO Thunder Stocks win of the last four weeks, Steve Hess won his second ESSO Mini Stocks feature of the season, Jeremy Hughes got another Bomber win, and Karl Sault and Rodney Rutherford teamed up to win the Blindfold race.
CORR/PAK MERCHANDISING SPRINT CARS
Mike Ling and Jamie Turner started on the front row for the twenty lap Sprint Car feature, and Ling quickly opened a lead. Kyle Moffit had a fresh power plant under the hood on Friday night and used it to move from eighth to second in the first four laps. Ling continued to lead as the race reached the halfway point, but Moffit was gaining each lap.
The pair raced through heavy traffic and traded the lead back and forth three times between laps thirteen and fifteen. Ling went to the bottom groove in turn one on lap sixteen in another bid to get the lead back, and hit a rut which sent him up the track and into the lapped machine of James Evans. Evans flipped wildly, while Ling came to a stop with damaged suspension. Ling climbed from his machine uninjured, while Evans was transported to hospital for evaluation.
The green flag came out for a five lap dash to the finish, and Moffit drove away from the field to claim his second win of the season by over four and a half seconds. The end of the race was not without drama though, as the left sideboard on Moffit’s wing started coming apart. Travis Cunningham held on for second despite a broken front wing, while Tom Huppunen finished third, Dave Dykstra fourth, and Kevin Job fifth.
“The wing didn’t really fold back enough to really make a big difference,” said Moffit in Engine Pro Racing victory lane. “I saw that it was kind of pulling away. It got hit with a piece of mud or something earlier in the race. We needed (this win). We needed our luck to turn around and I guess it did. We just picked this motor up yesterday. It’s good to have a fresh motor for the Nationals.”
Heat races for the thirty car field were claimed by Stan Zanchin, Dain Naida, Tom Huppunen, and Kyle Patrick, while Derek Jonathan won the B-Main.
NEXT WEEK AT OHSWEKEN
Rochester Americans present “Season Championship” night next Friday, September 3. Corr/Pak Merchandising Sprints, ESSO Thunder Stocks, ESSO Mini Stocks, and Bombers are all part of round twelve of Friday Night Thunder, plus Vintage Cars, Kids Box Car Races, and Mechanics races for Mini Stocks and Thunder Stocks. One lucky fan will also walk away with a pair of Reserved seat tickets (Friday and Saturday) along with admission to Thursday nights ASCS Patriot vs CORR/Pak Sprint car Challenge for the 6th running of the “Canadian Sprint Car Nationals” September 16, 17, and 18. Gates open at 6:00 with racing starting at 7:45! Visit www.OhswekenSpeedway.com and Feel the Excitement!
FRIDAY NIGHT THUNDER 2010
ROUND 11 RACE REPORT – AUGUST 27, 2010
EVENT SPONSOR – HRW AUTOMOTIVE
CORR/PAK MERCHANDISING SPRINT CARS
HEAT RACES (8 laps each – Top 3 redraw for feature starting spots, top 4 transfer to A-Feature):
BS&B RADIATOR HEAT RACE #1
1. 94 Stan Zanchin (Fort Erie), 2. 11 Jamie Turner (Caistor Centre), 3. 49t Gregg Dalman (), 4. 90 James Evans (Beamsville), 5. 23 Steve Garry (Dundas), 6. 10 Mitchell Brown (Brantford), 7. 49 Todd Hoddick (Cheektowaga, NY), 8. 31 John Burbridge, Jr. (St. Williams). Time – 1:53.684.
BEST WESTERN CAIRN CROFT HOTEL HEAT RACE #2
1. 77x Dain Naida (Tecumseh, MI), 2. 21x Kevin Job (Campbellville), 3. 35 Jared Zimbardi (Salamanca, NY), 4. 5m Brad Malloy (Niagara Falls), 5. 81 Derek Jonathan (Lewiston, NY), 6. 14h Jim Huppunen (Fenwick), 7. 7a Al Blanchard (Welland), 8. 45x Doug Banks (Inverary). Time – 1:49.654.
GRISDALE RACING PRODUCTS HEAT RACE #3
1. 12c Tom Huppunen (Fenwick), 2. 71 Travis Cunningham (Grimsby), 3. 7x Mike Ling (Mount Brydges), 4. 0 Glenn Styres (Ohsweken), 5. 7p Jim Price (Wainfleet), 6. 66 Frank Baranowski (Mount Hope), 7. 67 Chris Durand (Port Stanley). Time – 1:49.628.
AWESOME RACEWEAR PRODUCTS HEAT RACE #4
1. 33k Kyle Patrick (Tilbury), 2. 5d Dave Dykstra (Port Colborne), 3. 7 Kyle Moffit (South Dayton, NY), 4. 5 Keith Dempster (Alton), 5. 30 Adam West (Ridgetown), 6. 30g Stevin Goldner (Aylmer), 7. 1a John Riegling (Chatham). Time – 1:47.552.
B-MAIN (10 laps – Top 4 transfer to A-Feature)
1. 81 Derek Jonathan, 2. 14h Jim Huppunen, 3. 49 Todd Hoddick, 4. 30 Adam West, 5. 23 Steve Garry, 6. 10 Mitchell Brown, 7. 7p Jim Price, 8. 30g Stevin Goldner, 9. 31 John Burbridge, Jr., 10. 67 Chris Durand, 11. 45x Doug Banks, 12. 7a Al Blanchard DNF, 13. 66 Frank Baranowski DNF, 14. 1a John Riegling DNF. No Time.
SPRINT CAR FEATURE (20 laps)
Position. # Name (Starting Position)
1. 7 Kyle Moffit (8)
2. 71 Travis Cunningham (4)
3. 12c Tom Huppunen (9)
4. 5d Dave Dykstra (5)
5. 21x Kevin Job (7)
6. 33k Kyle Patrick (6)
7. 49t Gregg Dalman (10)
8. 11 Jamie Turner (2)
9. 77x Dain Naida (11)
10. 35 Jared Zimbardi (12)
11. 5 Keith Dempster (16)
12. 14h Jim Huppunen (18)
13. 49 Todd Hoddick (19)
14. 81 Derek Jonathan (17)
15. 5m Brad Malloy (14)
16. 30 Adam West (20)
17. 7x Mike Ling (1) DNF
18. 90 James Evans (13) DNF
19. 94 Stan Zanchin (3) DNF
20. 0 Glenn Styres (15) DNF