By T.J. Buffenbarger
Wyoming, MI — Notes about competitors from around the Great Lakes State…
• Several tracks start weekly racing this week sprint car programs begin starting April 29th at Spartan while the Engine Pro ASCS Sprints on Dirt presented by ARP and Butler Motor Speedway start their 2011 campaigns on Saturday April 30th.
• While at Attica Raceway Park on Saturday, Dain Naida mentioned the Miles Hill and Glenn Styres teams might run the Engine Pro ASCS Sprints on Dirt presented by ARP season opener at Crystal Motor Speeedway to get some laps in before opening night at Ohsweken Speedway.
• Aaron Smith was busy peddling his new Hot Shot Engine Heater, which is proving to be a hot commodity in the sprint car community, at Attica last weekend. Smith indicated he has sold his 360 engine and plans on focusing on Butler Motor Speedway and may venture down to Attica or Fremont for a weekly program during the summer.
• Steve Irwin has accrued perfect attendance so far this season with the USAC National Sprint Car Series in Roy Jackson’s 42g car. Look for the team to race at Gas City, but pass on rounds a Lawrenceburg and Kokomo. Irwin also informed us he has gone in as partners with his father, Mark, in a Beast sprint car to make some Spartan Sprint Car starts. Irwin indicated they would not be ready for opening night, but should be out later in the season. Look for the Irwins to test at Dixie or Auto City before going over to Spartan.
• Some of the other names tossed around to make Spartan sprint car starts in 2011 include Gary Fedewa, Curt Shumaker, and several others that might pop in from time to time.
• Doug Dietch tested his new Beast sprint car Wednesday during a practice session at Kalamazoo Speedway. Dietch plans on moving into the sprint car ranks full time after spending 2011 in the Spartan Sprint Car series and doing some midget car racing.
• Following up his hard charger honors during the All Star Circuit of Champions event at Attica Raceway Park, Dustin Daggett released a very aggressive schedule for the first half of the 2011 season. Daggett is slated to spend the next two weeks in Ohio before returning for first ASCS SOD event of the 2011 season at Crystal Motor Speedway. The majority of Daggett’s time will be spent at Attica, Fremont, Lima, and Eldora with select Michigan starts at I-96, Cherry Raceway, Crystal, and Hartford Motor Speedway.
• The “Spartan super team” featuring Gavin Hunyady and Chris Hettinger driving for Ed Kenens plans on being ready for this weekend’s Spartan test. Hunyady will drive the former Donny Schatz pavement J&J that Hettinger raced last season while Hettinger will slide into the seat of a Beast chassis.
• Last weekend Ron Flinn informed us that seven or eight sprint cars took to the track at Crystal Motor Speedway on one of their test and tune days. There were also cars testing at I-96 Speedway for their first test and tune event. Crystal opens their regular season this weekend while I-96 Speedway along with Spartan are having test and tunes. I-96 promoters Mike and Sarah Mouch have asked fans to bring non perishable food to I-96’s practice to benefit the Ionia County Community Food Network. As a bonus the AMA District 14 motorcycles will race immediately after the test and tune.
• Michigan sprint car drivers, don’t forget we want to know what you are doing for the 2011 season. Make sure to contact us for our Great Lakes Preview we plan on releasing in two weeks.