From Tony Veneziano
Rossburg, OH-September 22, 2010 -What would a championship battle be without having the famed Eldora Speedway involved? The first ever World of Outlaws title was decided at the famed half-mile during the 1978 finale and a number of other championship fights have rolled through the legendary high-banked half-mile, which again will play a pivotal role in helping determine the World of Outlaws champion, as Jason Meyers, Joey Saldana and Steve Kinser all head to the Ohio oval separated by just 48 points, with Donny Schatz fourth, 115 back and a full night of racing on tap on Friday, September 24 to help open the track’s annual Four Crown Nationals Weekend.
Kinser, the 20-time World of Outlaws champion, who is locked in an epic battle with Saldana and Meyers, was victorious in the Kings Royal in July, in the World of Outlaws most recent visit to Eldora, while Saldana won the Knight Before the Kings Royal and has two wins at the track in 2010, with his teammate Paul McMahan also scoring a win at the track back in May.
Meyers, who took over the point lead last weekend, has won twice in his career with the World of Outlaws at Eldora Speedway and finished fourth last year during the Four Crown Weekend at the track. He holds a slim three-point lead over Saldana, as the two both chase their first World of Outlaws title.
Saldana has nine wins with the World of Outlaws at Eldora over the years to go along with nearly 50 Top-10 finishes with the series at the half-mile. He leads the series with 13 wins this season.
Kinser has won 41 times with the World of Outlaws at Eldora and has over 120 career Top-10 finishes with the series at the track and nearly 100 Top-Five performances. The Hall of Famer has finished in the Top-Five in all four of his starts this season at the track as he chases his record 21 st title. The native of Bloomington, Indiana leads the World of Outlaws with 53 Top-10 finishes along with 37 Top-Fives.
Donny Schatz, the four-time and defending series champion, has won five times in his career with the World of Outlaws at Eldora and has well over 40 career Top-10 finishes at the track. He is currently fourth in points, 115 markers out of the top spot as he chases his fifth straight title.
Jason Sides, who has won four times this season, was victorious in the Four Crown Weekend last season at Eldora. Jac Haudenschild, who has eight World of Outlaws wins at Eldora will be in action as well, along with Craig Dollansky, who has four triumphs at the track with the series and is the current track record holder, a mark he set in 2002. Danny Lasoski, the 2001 World of Outlaws champion, has won once with the series at Eldora.
The World of Outlaws raced at the famed Eldora Speedway for the first time in during the series inaugural 1978 season, with Bobby Allen winning that event and have raced at the track each and every year since.
* Steve Kinser added to his amazing track record at Eldora Speedway winning the Kings Royal in July for the seventh time in his career. He has finished in the Top-Five in all four races at the half-mile this season for the World of Outlaws.
* Joey Saldana has won two of the four races at Eldora this season and enters the event this weekend as the current series point leader on the strength of 13 wins on the season.
* Jason Meyers has won twice in his career with the World of Outlaws at Eldora Speedway and looks to gain even more ground on Joey Saldana and Steve Kinser in the championship standings.
* Donny Schatz has won five times with the World of Outlaws at Eldora and is currently fourth in points on the strength of 48 Top-10 finishes.
* Jason Sides won last season during the Four Crown Weekend at Eldora. He scored his first career World of Outlaws A-Feature win at the track in the 2004 Kings Royal.
* Paul McMahan was victorious at Eldora Speedway back in May to score his first win as a member of Kasey Kahne Racing, as he is filling in for the injured Cody Darrah this season.
* Craig Dollansky, who is the track record holder at Eldora, setting that mark in 2002, has won four times overall with the World of Outlaws at the track over the years.
* Danny Lasoski has one career win with the World of Outlaws at Eldora and has over 50 Top-10 finishes with the series at the half-mile.
* Jac Haudenschild has won eight times with the World of Outlaws at Eldora Speedway in his illustrious career and has over 100 Top-10 finishes with the series at the half-mile.
* Chad Kemenah has nearly 30 career Top-10 finishes with the World of Outlaws at Eldora Speedway in his home state of Ohio.
* Ben Gregg, who was born and raised in the shadows of Eldora Speedway, is the current leader in the chase for the Kevin Gobrecht Rookie of the Year Award with the World of Outlaws.
* Mike Larson from Chizmark & Larson Insurance will be at the event to present the $100 Hard Luck Award to a driver that has a trying evening.
By the Numbers: Eldora Speedway
0.5- Miles around Eldora Speedway
3- Points that separate leader Jason Meyers and Joey Saldana in the World of Outlaws standings; Drivers that have won with the World of Outlaws at Eldora this season
4- Wins for Steve Kinser on half-mile tracks this year to lead the series
6- Races in the state of Ohio this season for the World of Outlaws
12.707- Track record established by Craig Dollansky in time trials in 2002
13- Wins for Joey Saldana this season to lead the series
14- Drivers that have won on half-miles with the World of Outlaws this season
17- Drivers that have been quickest in time trials this season
18- Drivers that have won A-Feature events this season with the World of Outlaws; Drivers that have won a dash to earn a pole position in a main event
21- Races on half-mile tracks for the World of Outlaws thus far in 2010
26- Drivers that have led laps in A-Feature events in 2010
29 – Drivers that have won A-Feature events with the World of Outlaws at Eldora dating back to 1978
33- Consecutive years the World of Outlaws have competed at Eldora Speedway
37- Top-Five finishes for Steve Kinser this season to lead the series
53- Top-10 finishes for Steve Kinser this season to lead the series
61- A-Feature events completed through September 18
122- Top-10 finishes for Steve Kinser in World of Outlaws events at Eldora Speedway
144 -Career starts in World of Outlaws events at Eldora Speedway for Steve Kinser to lead all drivers
368- Laps led by Joey Saldana this season to lead the series
601- Miles from Deer Creek Speedway in Minnesota where the World of Outlaws competed on September 18 to Eldora Speedway in Ohio
1978- Year the World of Outlaws first competed at Eldora Speedway
10,000- Dollars the winner will receive on Friday, September 24
51,690- Dollars in the total purse on Friday, September 24
287,400- Dollars earned by Steve Kinser this season to lead the series
Tickets: On Friday, September 24 at Eldora Speedway, tickets for those ages 16-over will be $25, with tickets for those ages 12-15 $12, with tickets for kids 7-11 $6., while kids 6-under will be admitted free of charge.
The World of Outlaws Sprint Car Series is brought to fans across the country by many important sponsors and partners, including: Armor All (Official Car Care Products), Chizmark & Larson Insurance , Goodyear Tires (Official Tire), SuperClean (Official Cleaner-Degreaser), VP Racing (Official Racing Fuel); in addition to contingency sponsors, Jake’s Custom Golf Carts, KSE Race Products, Penske Shocks , R2C Performance, Racing Electronics, S&S Volvo; Engine Builder’s Challenge participants Don Ott Racing Engines, Kistler Engines, Shaver Specialties and Speedway Engines; and Chassis Builder’s Challenge participants J&J Auto Racing, Maxim Racing and XXX Race Company.