By Tony Veneziano
Sarver, PA–July 19, 2010- Only one time this year will the best sprint car drivers in the world compete twice on the same night and that will be on Tuesday, July 20 at the famed Lernerville Speedway in Sarver, Pennsylvania as the World of Outlaws take to the always racy four-tenths-mile for the Don Martin Memorial Silver Cup Twin 30’s. Each of the 30-lap races will pay $15,000 to-win, with it possible for one driver to score a $30,000 payday if they can win both portions of the event, which is the richest one-day show on the World of Outlaws calendar.
The finish of the first Twin 30 will determine the starting line-up for the finale, with the lead lap cars being inverted. Last season 19 cars were inverted for the second 30-lapper with a number of drivers working their way from the back of the field to the front.
Danny Lasoski battled Jason Sides late in the going in the opener of the Twin 30’s last season to score the win, while Stevie Smith was victorious in the finale. Lasoski charged from 19th to seventh in the second Twin 30 to be crowned the overall winner of the Silver Cup, adding his name to an illustrious list of former winners.
The Don Martin Memorial Silver Cup Twin 30’s continue the “Month of Money” for the World of Outlaws, which kicked off last Saturday night with the Kings Royal at Eldora Speedway, with 20-time series champion Steve Kinser picking up the win. Kinser, who is currently second in points, just 12 markers behind Joey Saldana, as he chases his record 21st title, has won the Silver Cup twice in his legendary career and leads all World of Outlaws drivers at Lernerville with 17 wins.
Donny Schatz, the four-time and defending World of Outlaws champion, has two Silver Cup triumphs with those coming in 2006 and 2007. The North Dakota native, who is Kinser’s teammate at Tony Stewart Racing, has won twice this year and is currently fourth in points.
Sammy Swindell, who won the inaugural Don Martin Memorial Silver Cup in 1992, and has three overall Silver Cups, will be in attendance as he looks to add to his two World of Outlaws wins this season. With Swindell being in action along with 1995 World of Outlaws champion Dave Blaney, that brings the number of past series champion that will be in action to a record- five.
A total of nine drivers have been victorious in the previous 18 Silver Cups, with Mother Nature claiming one victory. Mark Kinser, the two-time World of Outlaws champion leads all drivers with four triumphs in the event. Seven of the nine drivers that have won a Silver Cup will be in action on Tuesday, July 20 in the Twin 30’s.
· The Twin-30 lap format will be in effect, with the first race being a standard World of Outlaws event, while the second will be an inverted feature. Each will pay $15,000 to-win.
· A record five former World of Outlaws champions will be in action during the Silver Cup, led by Steve Kinser, along with Donny Schatz, Sammy Swindell, Danny Lasoski and Dave Blaney.
· Danny Lasoski became the ninth winner of the Silver Cup last season, following his win in the opener of the Twin 30’s, which was his first career triumph at Lernerville.
· Steve Kinser heads to Lernerville with plenty of momentum having won the Kings Royal on Saturday night to earn his fifth win of 2010. He is currently second in points as he chases his record 21st title.
· Donny Schatz is one of just four drivers that has won the Silver Cup more than once. He looks to build on second and four-place runs at Eldora Speedway last weekend as the “Month of Money” continues.
· Joey Saldana, who leads the World of Outlaws in wins this season with nine, is seeking his first Silver Cup win. He is the track record holder at Lernerville, setting that mark in 2002.
· Jason Meyers, who won a couple of times at Lernerville also is seeking his first Silver Cup and has finished in the Top-10 in five of his last six starts at the track.
· Jac Haudenschild, who has won twice this season, is looking for his first World of Outlaws win at Lernerville. He has over 20 career Top-10 finishes with the series at the track.
· Brian Ellenberger, the defending Kevin Gobrecht Rookie of the Year with the World of Outlaws has four career wins at Lernerville Speedway, which is his home track, including one earlier this season.
· Ben Gregg and Toni Lutar, who are competing for the Kevin Gobrecht Rookie of the Year Award with the World of Outlaws this season, will both be making their first start at Lernerville Speedway in the Silver Cup.
· A strong contingent of drivers that have plenty of laps at Lernerville will also be in action including: Ed Lynch Jr. who won the Silver Cup in 2002 as well as Tim Shaffer who won it in 2005 and Dale Blaney who recently won the Brad Doty Classic.
By the Numbers: Don Martin Memorial Silver Cup Twin 30’s
0.175 – Margin of victory for Stevie Smith over Jac Haudenschild in the finale of the Silver Cup last season
0.176- Margin of victory for Danny Lasoski over Jason Sides in the opener of the Silver Cup last year
0.4 – Miles around Lernerville Speedway
1 – World of Outlaws driver that has won at Lernerville Speedway this season- Brian Ellenberger
2- Visits to Lernerville Speedway this season for the World of Outlaws
3- A-Feature events scheduled for the World of Outlaws at Lernerville this season; Drivers competing full-time with the World of Outlaws this season that have won the Silver Cup
4- Drivers that led laps in feature events at Lernerville Speedway last season; Laps led by Stevie Smith en route to winning the finale of the Silver Cup in 2009; Wins for Brian Ellenberger in his career at Lernerville, which is his home track
5- Former series champions that will be competing in the Silver Cup
5.5- Average finish for Steve Kinser at Lernerville Speedway to lead all World of Outlaws drivers
7- Former winners of the Silver Cup that will be in action on Tuesday, July 20
9 – Drivers that have won the Don Martin Memorial Silver Cup
10 – Laps led by Danny Lasoski en route to winning the opener of the Silver Cup last season
12- Points that currently separate Joey Saldana and Steve Kinser at the top of the World of Outlaws standings
12.334 – Track record established by Joey Saldana in time trials in 2002 at Lernerville Speedway
13- Drivers that have won feature events with the World of Outlaws this season
16- Drivers currently competing full-time with the World of Outlaws
17- Wins for Steve Kinser in World of Outlaws events at Lernerville Speedway to lead all drivers
19- Consecutive years the Don Martin Memorial Silver Cup has been held
20 – Laps led by Jason Sides in the opener of the Silver Cup last season en route to a runner-up finish
22 – Drivers that have won feature events with the World of Outlaws at Lernerville Speedway dating back to 1979
23- Drivers that have led laps in feature events this season with the series
26- Laps led by Danny Smith in the finale of the Silver Cup en route to a third-place finish last year
29- World of Outlaws championships accounted for by drivers competing in the Silver Cup
36- Top-10 finishes for Steve Kinser this season to lead the series
38- A-Feature events contested by the World of Outlaws through July 17
44- Drivers that competed in the Silver Cup last season
53- Top-10 finishes for Steve Kinser at Lernerville in World of Outlaws events to lead all drivers
63 – Starts for Steve Kinser at Lernerville Speedway with the World of Outlaws to lead all drivers
244- Laps led by Joey Saldana this season to lead the series
326- Miles from Eldora Speedway in Ohio where the World of Outlaws compete on July 17 to Lernerville Speedway in Sarver, Pennsylvania
1979- Year the World of Outlaws first competed at Lernerville Speedway
1992 – Year the Don Martin Memorial Silver Cup was first held
15,000- Dollars to win the first segment of the Silver Cup on July 20; Dollars to win the second segment of the Silver Cup on July 20
30,000- Dollars possible that could be won if a driver is victorious in both segments of the Twin 30’s
182,650- Dollars earned by Steve Kinser through July 17 to lead the series
On Tuesday, July 20 at Lernerville Speedway, General admission tickets are $29 adults and $24 for those ages 11-17, with reserved tickets $35 for adults and $31 for those ages 17-under. Children ages 10-under will be admitted free of charge to the general admission section. Advance reserved tickets include a FREE pit pass upgrade. Tickets can be purchased online by visiting www.WorldofOutlaws.com/tickets or by calling 704-795-7723.
The World of Outlaws Sprint Car Series is brought to fans across the country by many important sponsors and partners, including: Armor All (Official Car Care Products), Chizmark & Larson Insurance , Goodyear Tires (Official Tire), SuperClean (Official Cleaner-Degreaser), VP Racing (Official Racing Fuel); in addition to contingency sponsors, Jake’s Custom Golf Carts, KSE Race Products, Penske Shocks , R2C Performance, Racing Electronics, S&S Volvo; Engine Builder’s Challenge participants Don Ott Racing Engines, Kistler Engines, Shaver Specialties and Speedway Engines; and Chassis Builder’s Challenge participants J&J Auto Racing, Maxim Racing and XXX Race Company.