By Tony Veneziano
Elma WA-September 3, 2010 -After Mother Nature was victorious at Grays Harbor Raceway last season, World of Outlaws drivers are anxiously anticipating their return to the always racy high-banked 3/8-mile in one of the most scenic parts of the state of Washington on Monday, September 6 to help celebrate Labor Day.
Kraig Kinser was victorious at the track in 2008, taking the lead in lapped traffic from Jayme Barnes on the 24th lap of the 30-lap contest, which was extended by one circuit following a caution on the white flag lap. The third generation driver used a strong restart to propel him to his first win at Grays Harbor Raceway, with Barnes in second and Steve Kinser in third.
Steve Kinser is one of just two drivers that has won twice with the World of Outlaws at Grays Harbor, taking the checkered flag most recently in 2004, along with a triumph in 1998. The 20-time series champion enters the event second in points, just 36 markers behind Joey Saldana as he seeks his record 21st title. He is the only driver that has competed in each and every World of Outlaws race at Grays Harbor Raceway dating back to 1996, racking up 18 Top-10 finishes at the track along the way.
Donny Schatz, the four-time and defending World of Outlaws champion, won at Grays Harbor Raceway in 2005 and has 14 career Top-10 finishes at the track dating back to his debut at the 3/8-mile in 1997. He has won three times this season and is currently fourth in points.
Jason Meyers, who is currently third in points, just 39 markers out of the lead was victorious at Grays Harbor Raceway in 2003. He has nine career Top-10 finishes in 12 starts with the World of Outlaws at the track.
Joey Saldana, who currently leads the World of Outlaws championship standings, has seven career Top-10 finishes with the series at Grays Harbor Raceway with three of those being Top-Five performances. He finished second at the track in 2007 as he looks for his first win there. The second generation driver currently leads the series in wins and Top-Five finishes as he seeks his first title.
The World of Outlaws visited Grays Harbor Raceway for the first time in 1996 and in 12 A-Feature events at the track, 10 drivers have visited the winner’s circle. There has been a different winner in each of the last eight races the series has contested at the track.
· The tight battle for the World of Outlaws title comes to Grays Harbor Raceway with just 39 points separating the Top-Three drivers in the standings, with a mere 36 points separating leader Joey Saldana and second-place Steve Kinser.
· Kraig Kinser scored his first win of the 2008 at Grays Harbor Raceway and looks to repeat that this season as the series heads to the high-banked 3/8-mile while he was victorious in the series last race at the track.
· Steve Kinser is the only driver that has competed in each and every one of the 21 overall World of Outlaws races at the track, scoring two wins along with 18 Top-10 finishes of which 16 are Top-Fives.
· Jason Meyers has one win with the World of Outlaws at Grays Harbor Raceway to go along with nine Top-10 finishes, including eight consecutive at the track.
· Joey Saldana, who leads the World of Outlaws standings, is looking for his first win at the track. He has seven Top-10 finishes at Grays Harbor including a runner-up performance in 2007.
· Donny Schatz won at Grays Harbor Raceway in 2005 and has 14 career Top-10 finishes at the track.
· Jason Sides has five Top-10 finishes at the track with the World of Outlaws, including one in 2008 as he looks for his first win with the series at Grays Harbor.
· Danny Lasoski, who has won three times at Grays Harbor Raceway in his career, is looking for his first win with the World of Outlaws at the track. He has 13 career Top-10 finishes with the series at the 3/8-mile.
· Craig Dollansky, who set the track record at Grays Harbor Raceway in 2004, has eight career Top-10 finishes at the track, including a couple of runner-up performances as he looks for his first win there.
· Jac Haudenschild has eight Top-10 finishes over the years at Grays Harbor Raceway, with six of those being Top-Five performances as he looks for his first win at the track.
· Chad Kemenah finished fifth in 2008 at Grays Harbor Raceway, which was just his second career start at the track.
· Toni Lutar, who hails from White Rock, British Columbia, Canada, right over the border from Washington, has competed a handful of times over the years at Grays Harbor Raceway, including with the World of Outlaws.
· Ben Gregg, the leading contender for the Kevin Gobrecht Rookie of the Year Award this season, will be making his first start at Grays Harbor Raceway this coming week.
By the Numbers: Grays Harbor Raceway
0.375- Miles around Grays Harbor Raceway
1- Driver competing full-time with the series that will be racing at Grays Harbor for the first fist time- Ben Gregg
3- Races for the World of Outlaws in the state of Washington this season
4.5- Average finish for Steve Kinser at Grays Harbor Raceway with the World of Outlaws to lead all drivers
8- Laps led by Kraig Kinser en route to winning at the track in 2008
10- Drivers that have won A-Feature events with the World of Outlaws at Grays Harbor
11.915- Track record set by Craig Dollansky in time trials in 2004
12- A-Feature wins for Joey Saldana through September 1 to lead the series
14- Drivers competing full-time with the World of Outlaws that raced at the track with the series in 2008
15- Drivers currently competing full-time with the World of Outlaws
18- Top-10 finishes for Steve Kinser with the series at the track to lead all drivers
21- Starts with the World of Outlaws for Steve Kinser at Grays Harbor to lead all drivers
23- Laps led Jayme Barnes en route to a runner-up finish at the track with the World of Outlaws in 2008
33- To-Five finishes for Joey Saldana through September 1 to lead the series
36- Points that separate leader Joey Saldana and Steve Kinser in the World of Outlaws standings entering this weekend’s three races in Washington
48- Top-10 finishes for Steve Kinser through September 1 to lead the series
47- Drivers that competed with the World of Outlaws at Grays Harbor Raceway in 2008
161- Miles from Skagit Speedway in Alger, Washington where the World of Outlaws compete in September 3-4 to Grays Harbor Raceway
1996- Year the World of Outlaws first competed at Grays Harbor Raceway
10,000- Dollars the winner will receive on Monday, September 6
51,690- Dollars in the total purse on Monday, September 6
Tickets: On Monday, September 6 at Grays Harbor Raceway, reserved tickets will be $38, with premium tickets also available. To purchase tickets online visit: http://graysharborraceway.ticketforce.com.
The World of Outlaws Sprint Car Series is brought to fans across the country by many important sponsors and partners, including: Armor All (Official Car Care Products), Chizmark & Larson Insurance , Goodyear Tires (Official Tire), SuperClean (Official Cleaner-Degreaser), VP Racing (Official Racing Fuel); in addition to contingency sponsors, Jake’s Custom Golf Carts, KSE Race Products, Penske Shocks , R2C Performance, Racing Electronics, S&S Volvo; Engine Builder’s Challenge participants Don Ott Racing Engines, Kistler Engines, Shaver Specialties and Speedway Engines; and Chassis Builder’s Challenge participants J&J Auto Racing, Maxim Racing and XXX Race Company.