Hanover, PA — (May 31, 2013) —
After finishing in second place for the past three features, Brad McClelland was more than ready to add to his lead as the all-time 358 sprint feature winner on Friday night at Trail-Way Speedway.
On a night when three of the top 12 drivers in season points did not appear, McClelland improved upon his fifth-place standing in the points by taking his 28th career triumph and his first of the season.
“You know, 12 cars, you can’t get too excited,” the Westminster, Md., driver said about the small field of 358 sprints on Camera and Autograph Night. “We’ve still got Jeff (Rohrbaugh), Timmy (Wagaman II), Cris (Eash), Robbie (Kendall). You’ve still got the good guys here.”
However, another of the 12, Hanover’s Randy Whisler, took the lead from the outside pole at the start of the 25-lap A-main. It took McClelland, who started sixth, six laps to catch “The Whiz” and, on lap seven, drove high into the third turn and dove low in the fourth corner to bypass Whisler.
From there, the action occurred behind McClelland, who indicated his win was not just another Friday night drive.
“The track was real tricky tonight. If I had messed up, he (Rohrbaugh) would have gotten me, but we just settled in and took what we got,” McClelland said, referring to the defending feature winner’s second-place finish by .798 second.
Once McClelland got the lead, Eash settled into second place following his 10th-lap pass of Whisler, but Eash’s night ended on the 22nd lap. Kendall, who took the Hard Charger Award by placing third from his eighth starting spot, claimed he made contact with Eash, who slid to a stop in the second turn.
“I thought I was all up into Eash. I feel bad for him. He had a good run going,” Kendall said. “On that restart, I thought I was going to have something for Rohrbaugh because we were rolling the top pretty good. I just went in there and got too tight.”
Isaac Sneeringer passed Kendall, but Kendall returned the favor before the 22nd lap was completed and claimed third ahead of Sneeringer, who joined Wagaman as heat winners, and fifth-place finisher Whisler.
In the Central PA Legends’ 15-lap feature, Littlestown’s Chris Transeau, who worked for Trail-Way’s medical crew a year ago, led every lap and held off East Berlin’s Bob Stough for his first career win at Trail-Way. Bill Diehl placed third ahead of Greg Martz and Chad Earnst.
Stough and Transeau captured heat triumphs among the 19 legends teams.
In a wild 15-lap limited stock feature that saw only 10 of the original 24 cars finish, New Oxford’s Terry Hartlaub repeated as feature winner. He used the outside groove to pass race leader Shane Miller in the third and fourth turns of the seventh lap and paced the rest of the way. Miller took second ahead of Cory Weishaar, polesitter Dale Arnold and Jimmy Tyson.
Brad Kress, Todd Miller and Shane Miller claimed limited stock heat victories. Mike Wolf, who was involved in a four-car, third-turn crash on the first lap which brought out a red flag in the feature, claimed the consolation.
Gettysburg’s Dan Furman held off teammate Craig Wagaman by two car-lengths to win the 20-lap street stock feature. Furman passed outside polesitter Larry Landis on the second lap and led the remainder of the distance while Wagaman worked from 10th starting spot for his finish. Landis took third ahead of Bill Foster and Timothy Hahn.
Justin Mitchell recorded his track-leading fourth heat win of the season. He was joined as a heat winner by Landis.
The street stock warm-up laps included a crash by Biglerville’s Joe Racine, whose No. 74 angled into the third-turn wall. While Racine was unhurt, his car lost its right front wheel and caught fire, bringing out the red flag, before track personnel extinguished the flames.
Next Friday (6/7), Trail-Way Speedway will host the 358 sprint cars, limited stocks, street stocks and 1,000cc Sidewinder sprints. Gates open at 5:30 p.m. and racing begins at 7:30 p.m.
On Friday, June 14, Trail-Way will welcome back the 358 sprints in another 7:30 p.m. program. Those teams will be joined by the 358 late models, 600cc micro sprints and classic cars.
For all the latest news and related information from Trail-Way Speedway, fans are reminded to visit the speedway website at www.trail-wayspeedway.com. The complete story and agate from each race night is posted shortly after the final checkered falls.
Trail-Way Speedway For Immediate Release May 31, 2013
358 Sprint Cars
Feature (25 Laps)
1. 6R-Brad McClelland; 2. 45-Jeff Rohrbaugh; 3. 55K-Robbie Kendall; 4. 19Z-Isaac Sneeringer; 5. 64-Randy Whisler; 6. 69-Shane Hoff; 7. 10-Zach Eucolano; 8. 30-Seth Kearchner; 9. 66a-Cody Fletcher; 10. 17E-Cris Eash (DNF); 11. 1*-Tim Wagaman II (DNF); 12. 99-Joe Trone Jr. (DNF). No Time.
Lap Leaders – Randy Whisler (1-6), Brad McClelland (7-25).
Heat 1 (10 Laps/All Qualify)
1. 1*-Tim Wagaman II; 2. 6R-Brad McClelland; 3. 55K-Robbie Kendall; 4. 64-Randy Whisler; 5. 69-Shane Hoff; 6. 99-Joe Trone Jr. No Time.
Heat 2 (10 Laps/All Qualify)
1. 19Z-Isaac Sneeringer; 2. 17E-Cris Eash; 3. 45-Jeff Rohrbaugh; 4. 30-Seth Kearchner; 5. 10-Zach Eucolano; 6. 66a-Cody Fletcher. Time – 2:26.98.
Central PA Legends
Feature (20 Laps)
1. 18-Chris Transeau; 2. 07-Bob Stough; 3. 53-Bill Diehl; 4. 55-Greg Martz; 5. 85-Chad Earnst; 6. 90-Scott Spidle; 7. 13-Jacob Feltch; 8. 56-Mike Gable; 9. 85S-Keith Haring; 10. 79-Ed Trump; 11. 76-Randy Minich; 12. 9-Rick Hartwig; 13. 521-Scott Deaner Sr.; 14. 93-David Miller; 15. 15-Lucas Montgomery (DNF); 16. 33-Chris Ward (DNF); 17. 2-Brent Marquis (DNF); 18. 38-Richard Miller (DNF); 19. 44-Scott Gobrecht (DNF) . No Time.
Lap Leaders – Chris Transeau (1-20).
Heat 1 (8 Laps/All Qualify)
1. 07-Bob Stough; 2. 38-Richard Miller; 3. 55-Greg Martz; 4. 53-Bill Diehl; 5. 56-Mike Gable; 6. 13-Jacob Feltch; 7. 93-David Miller; 8. 33-Chris Ward; 9. 79-Ed Trump (DNF). DNS: 521-Scott Deaner Jr. No Time.
Heat 2 (8 Laps/All Qualify)
1. 18-Chris Transeau; 2. 44-Scott Gobrecht; 3. 15-Lucas Montgomery; 4. 9-Rick Hartwig; 5. 85-Chad Earnst; 6. 76-Randy Minich; 7. 90-Scott Spidle; 8. 2-Brent Marquis; 9. 85S-Keith Haring. No Time.
Feature (15 Laps)
1. 92-Terry Hartlaub; 2. 39-Shane Miller; 3. 37-Cory Weishaar; 4. 28-Dale Arnold; 5. 70-Jimmy Tyson; 6. 88-Justin Oberlin; 7. 69-Robbie Carroll; 8. 16-Julio Perez; 9. 27-Donald Hopkins Jr.; 10. 99-Cody Klinedenst; 11. 3-Rod Weaver (DNF); 12. 8-Lem Crawford (DNF); 13. 32-Jeff Foster (DNF); 14. 10-Aaron Levin (DNF); 15. 13-John Shorb Jr. (DNF); 16. 86-Brian Walls (DNF); 17. 25-Todd Miller (DNF); 18. 9-Justin Bittle (DNF); 19. 5-Wes Kellison (DNF); 20. 21-Ricky Weaver Jr. (alternate); 21. 51-Matt Chronister (DNF); 22. 29-Mike Wolf (DNF); 23. 59-Ryan Smith (DNF); 24. 56-Brad Kress (DNF). No Time.
Lap Leaders – Shane Miller (1-6), Terry Hartlaub (7-15).
Heat 1 (6 Laps/7 Qualify)
1. 56-Brad Kress; 2. 27-Donald Hopkins Jr.; 3. 10-Aaron Levin; 4. 3-Rod Weaver; 5. 8-Lem Crawford; 6. 70-Jimmy Tyson; 7. 88-Justin Oberlin; 8. 29-Mike Wolf; 9. 59-Ryan Smith. DNS: 38-Jason Chronister, 17-Brian Blank Jr. Time – 2:12.22.
Heat 2 (6 Laps/7 Qualify)
1. 25-Todd Miller; 2. 92-Terry Hartlaub; 3. 28-Dale Arnold; 4. 94-Kenny Startzman; 5. 69-Robbie Carroll; 6. 16-Julio Perez; 7. 99-Cody Klinedenst; 8. 41-Robert Wellman (DNF). DNS: 54-Tyler Gastley, 21-Ricky Weaver Jr. No Time.
Heat 3 (6 Laps/7 Qualify)
1. 39-Shane Miller; 2. 9-Justin Bittle; 3. 86-Brian Walls; 4. 37-Cory Weishaar; 5. 32-Jeff Fostesr; 6. 13-John Shorb Jr.; 7. 81-Matt Chronister; 8. 5-Wes Kellison; 9. 01-Chelsea Weaver; 10. 55-Kory Shorb. Time – 2:10.17.
Consolation (6 Laps/3 Qualify)
1. 29-Mike Wolf; 2. 59-Ryan Smith; 3. 5-Wes Kellison; 4. 21-Ricky Weaver Jr.; 5. 01-Chelsea Weaver; 6. 55-Kory Shorb; 7. Brian Blank Jr. (DNF); 8. . DNS: 38-Jason Chronister; 41-Robert Wellman; 54-Tyler Gastley. Time – 2:13.04.
Feature (20 Laps)
1. 5M-Dan Furman; 2. 7M-Craig Wagaman; 3. 3-Larry Landis; 4. 8-Bill Foster; 5. 659H-Timothy Hahn; 6. 101-David Goode; 7. 10-Kyle Emig; 8. 40-Don Breach; 9. 33-Michael Goodwin (DNF); 10.77-Justin Mitchell (DNF); 11. 99-Jeremy Stremmel (DNF). DNS: 71-Joseph Racine, 74-Joe Racine. No Time.
Lap Leaders – Larry Landis (1), Dan Furman (2-20).
Heat 1 (8 Laps/All Qualify)
1. 77-Justin Mitchell; 2. 659-Timothy Hahn; 3. 7M-Craig Wagaman; 4. 5M-Dan Furman; 5. 10-Kyle Emig. DNS: 74-Joe Racine, 71-Joseph Racine. Time – 2:41.81.
Heat 2 (8 Laps/All Qualify)
1. 3-Larry Landis; 2. 8-Bill Foster; 3. 33-Michael Goodwin; 4. 99-Jeremy Stremmel; 5. 101-David Goode; 6. 40-Don Breach. Time – 2:47.60.