Hanover, PA — (6/21/13) — Westminster, Md.’s Brad McClelland won his third straight Hard Charger Award in Friday’s 358 sprint feature during Auto Racing Club of Hagerstown Night at Trail-Way Speedway. During the previous two weeks, McClelland also stood in victory lane.
That was not the case during the first night of summer, however.
Hanover’s Isaac Sneeringer claimed his fourth career feature victory on the Adams County oval by leading all but the initial lap of the 25-lap event. Once he passed outside polesitter Seth Kearchner for the top spot, Sneeringer held off the remainder of a 12-car field, which was originally 14 before two drivers scratched.
“Actually, we figured out something tonight,” Sneeringer said about his No. 19Z. “We put more gearing into it and that thing took off. I think my front wheels were off the ground most of the time because my steering wheel felt so light. One time, I came down and my car would shake, but it was a rocket tonight.”
When Sneeringer did have time to peek at the third-turn scoreboard, he saw one number which concerned him.
“I just saw the six (6R) up there and he won the last two weeks,” Sneeringer said. “But I think the top was too slick tonight. I thought it was best to just protect the bottom.”
While Hanover’s Cris Eash produced a workmanlike second-place finish to trail Sneeringer by 1.44 seconds for Eash’s best effort at Trail-Way this season, McClelland put on a show from his ninth starting spot. Passing five cars on the first lap, he eventually inherited third spot when the car in that position, the No. 55K of Robbie Kendall, jumped out of gear with 15 laps down. But McClelland finished there.
“This ain’t the trophy I want every night, but I’ll take it,” McClelland, who took his fourth heat race victory of the season, said after beating points leader and heat winner Jeff Rohrbaugh to the finish. Mike Duncan Jr. was sixth ahead of Kendall, Randy Whisler, Kearchner and Dwight Leppo.
The feature was interrupted only twice, first when Cody Fletcher pulled his car off the track too close to the racing surface and then when Kendall’s car stopped.
In other feature action, Dave Schreiber made a triumphant return to Trail-Way after an absence of more than two years as he led all 20 laps to win the 270cc micro sprint main. Starting from the pole in his Gettysburg Concrete No. 14, Schreiber held command through four caution flags and fought off the charge of Hanover’s Nik Gower by .23 second at the checkered flag for his fourth career win at the track. Cory Myers took third place ahead of heat winners Brian Marriott and Jim Still.
The 20-lap street stock feature produced a scary moment when the No. 8 of Bill Foster went up in a ball of flame after hitting the wall in the fourth turn and he was struck by rival Justin Mitchell’s car. Passing the flagstand and with fire trailing, Foster guided his car all the way around to the end of the backstretch before he was helped out without injury and the fire was extinguished. Just before that happened, Gettysburg’s Dan Furman had passed race leader and heat winner Jeremy Stremmel to complete the 11th lap.
Furman held off Stremmel to the finish for his second straight feature triumph. Larry Landis was third ahead of Timothy Hahn and Cameron Benyou.
The other heat winner among the 14 street stocks was Craig Wagaman.
More drama followed in the 15-lap limited stock feature when the red flag waved for the wildly flipping car of Michael Kolodiej Jr. in the third and fourth corners The driver was uninjured in the fourth-lap incident. Meanwhile, Michael Wellman inherited the top spot when race leader Jason Chronister pitted during the third lap, but Brian Walls passed Wellman on the next tour. From there, Walls notched his second triumph of the 2013 season.
Chad Weaver placed second ahead of Brad Kress, Kyle Rohrbaugh and Kenny Startzman, who joined Wellman and Todd Miller as heat winners. Cory Weishaar won the consolation.
Next Friday (6/28), Trail-Way Speedway will welcome back the 600cc micro sprints, which will join the 358 sprints, limited stocks and street stocks. That program begins at 7:30 p.m.
Trail-Way will throw the green flag on its July card the next Friday night (7/5) with its annual Street Stock Championship. The 7:30 p.m. program also contains 358 sprints, 358 late models and 270cc micro sprints.
For all the latest news and related information from Trail-Way Speedway, fans are reminded to visit the speedway website at www.trail-wayspeedway.com. The complete story and agate from each race night is posted shortly after the final checkered falls.
Trail-Way Speedway For Immediate Release June 21, 2013
358 Sprint Cars
Feature (25 Laps)
1. 19Z-Isaac Sneeringer; 2. 17E-Cris Eash; 3. 6R-Brad McClelland; 4. 45-Jeff Rohrbaugh; 5. 1*-Tim Wagaman; 6. 11D-Mike Duncan Jr.; 7. 55K-Robbie Kendall; 8. 64-Randy Whisler; 9. 30-Seth Kearchner; 10. 4-Dwight Leppo; 11. 66A-Cody Fletcher; 12. . DNS: 69-Shane Hoff, 10-Zach Euculano. No Time.
Lap Leaders – Seth Kearchner (1). Isaac Sneeringer (2-25).
Heat 1 (10 Laps/All Qualify)
1. 6-Brad McClelland; 2. 1*-Tim Wagaman; 3. 55K-Robbie Kendall; 4. 30-Seth Kearchner; 5. 4-Dwight Leppo; 6. 99-Joe Trone Jr. (DNF); 7. 10-Zach Euculano (DNF). No Time.
Heat 2 (10 Laps/All Qualify)
1. 45-Jeff Rohrbaugh; 2. 17E-Cris Eash; 3. 19Z-Isaac Sneeringer; 4. 11D-Mike Duncan Jr.; 5. 64-Randy Whisler; 6. 66A-Cody Fletcher; 7. 69-Shane Hoff (DNF). Time – 2:21.67..
270cc Micro Sprints
Feature (20 Laps)
1. 14-Dave Schreiber; 2. 10-Nik Gower; 3. 20-Cory Myers; 4. 18-Brian Marriott; 5. 8-Jim Still; 6. 2X-Chris Kennedy; 7. 10E-Michael Ertter; 8. 75-Broc Lawrence; 9. 09-John Horton; 10. 2D-Charlie Ford (DNF); 11. 20H-Eric Heath (DNF); 12. 82-Joey Long Jr. (DNF); 13. 72K-Kory Shissler; 14. 58-Steven Cox (DNF); 15. 22-Michael Boer (DNF); 16. 29K-Misti Kopp (DNF); 17. 1B-Brent Bull (DNF); 18. 2-Bill Laughman (DNF). DNS: 201-Jesse Hitz, 75D-Patrick Donahue. No Time.
Lap Leaders – Dave Schreiber (1-20).
Heat 1 (8 Laps/All Qualify)
1. 8-Jim Still; 2. 10-Nik Gower; 3. 10E-Michael Ertter; 4. 20H-Eric Heath; 5. 82-Joey Long Jr. (DNF); 6. 2-Bill Laughman (DNF); 7. 22-Michael Boer (DNF); 8. 1B-Brent Bull (DNF). DNS: 75-Broc Lawrence; 75D-Patrick Donahue No Time.
Heat 2 (8 Laps/All Qualify)
1. 18-Brian Marriott; 2. 14-Dave Schreiber; 3. 58-Steven Cox; 4. 2X-Chris Kennedy; 5. 20-Cory Myers; 6. 29K-Misti Kopp; 7. 72K-Kory Shissler; 8. 09-John Horton; 9. 2D-Charles Ford. DNS- 13-Brett Small, 201-Jesse Hitz. No Time.
Feature (20 Laps)
1. 5M-Dan Furman; 2. 99-Jeremy Stremmel; 3. 3-Larry Landis; 4. 659H-Timothy Hahn; 5. 3B-Cameron Benyou; 6. 101-David Goode; 7. 2S-Shane Stambaugh (DQ); 8. 7-David Johnson (DQ); 9. 33-Michael Goodwin (DNF); 10. 77-Justin Mitchell (DNF); 11. 8-Bill Foster (DNF); 12. 71-Joseph Racine (DNF); 13. 10-Kyle Emig (DNF); 14. 7M-Craig Wagaman (DNF). No Time.
Lap Leaders – Jeremy Stremmel (1-10), Dan Furman (11-20).
Heat 1 (8 Laps/All Qualify)
1. 99-Jeremy Stremmel; 2. 659-Timothy Hahn; 3. 5M-Dan Furman; 4. 3-Larry Landis; 5. 71-Joseph Racine; 6. 7-David Johnson (DNF); 7. 10-Kyle Emig (DNF). No Time.
Heat 2 (8 Laps/All Qualify)
1. 7M-Craig Wagaman; 2. 77-Justin Mitchell; 3. 8-Bill Foster; 4. 33-Michael Goodwin; 5. 3B-Cameron Benyou; 6. 101-David Goode; 7. 2S-Shane Stambaugh (DNF). No Time.
Feature (15 Laps)
1. 86-Brian Walls; 2. 2-Chad Weaver; 3. 56-Brad Kress; 4. 39-Kyle Rohrbaugh; 5. 94-Kenny Startzman; 6. 9-Justin Bittle; 7. 28-Dale Arnold; 8. 13-John Shorb Jr.; 9. 88-Justin Oberlin; 10. 99-Cody Klinedenst; 11. 41-Robert Wellman; 12. 10-Aaron Levin; 13. 8-Lem Crawford (DNF); 14. 69-Robbie Carroll (DNF); 15. 81-Matt Chronister (DNF); 16. 5-Jason Ohler (DNF); 17. 21-Ricky Weaver Jr. (DNF); 18. 32-Jeff Foster (DNF); 19. 16-Julio Perez (DNF); 20. 45-Ray Hollingsworth (DNF); 21. 11-Michael Kolodiej Jr. (DNF); 22. 37-Cory Weishaar (DNF); 23. 38-Jason Chronister (DNF); 24. 25-Todd Miller (DNF) . No Time.
Lap Leaders – Jason Chronister (1-3), Robert Wellman (4), Brian Walls (5-15).
Heat 1 (6 Laps/7 Qualify)
1. 41-Robert Wellman; 2. 38-Jason Chronister; 3. 69-Robbie Carroll; 4. 2-Chad Weaver; 5. 28-Dale Arnold; 6. 16-Julio Perez; 7. 88-Justin Oberlin; 8. 48-Bobby Mullins; 9. 37-Cory Weishaar (DNF); 10. 54-Tyler Gastley (DNF); 11. 59-Ryan Smith (DNF). No Time.
Heat 2 (6 Laps/7 Qualify)
1. 25-Todd Miller; 2. 81-Matt Chronister; 3. 86-Brian Walls; 4. 10-Aaron Levin; 5. 9-Justin Bitt;le; 6. 5-Jason Ohler; 7. 99-Cody Klinedenst; 8. 55-Kory Shorb; 9. 00-Keith Dorsey II; 10. 70-Jimmy Tyson (DNF). Time – 2:08.53.
Heat 3 (6 Laps/7 Qualify)
1. 94-Kenny Startzman; 2. 21-Ricky Weaver Jr.; 3. 39-Kyle Rohrbaugh; 4. 32-Jeff Foster; 5. 56-Brad Kress; 6. 11-Michael Kolodiej Jr.; 7. 13-John Shorb Jr.; 8. 45-Ray Hollingsworth; 9. 8-Lem Crawford; 10. 27-Donald Hopkins Jr. Time – 2:05.42.
Consolation (7 Laps/4 Qualify)
1. 37-Cory Weishaar; 2. 8-Lem Crawford; 3. 45-Ray Hollingsworth; 4. 27-Donald Hopkins Jr.; 5. 00-Keith Dorsey II; 6. 55-Kory Shorb (DNF); 7. 59-Ryan Smith (DNF). DNS: 54-Tyler Gastley, 48-Bobby Mullins, 70-Jimmy Tyson No Time.