From Aaron Fry
Orrville, OH — (May 10, 2014) — Despite a less than ideal weather forecast, Wayne County Speedway promoter Jason Flory chose to forge ahead to bring the Buckeye Machine BOSS traditional sprints before his fans tonight. For the fans who came out, they were rewarded by one of the most spectacular drives in the history of the series. Grafton, West Virginia crowd pleaser, Andre Layfield, charged from his 16th starting spot and appeared to be destined for a second place finish. However, off the final corner, Layfield was able to surge past Mike Miller to lead the final 50 feet.
The evening began with 26 Buckeye Machine wingless sprint signed in for competition. Heat races were won by Mike Miller of Wapakoneta, Ohio, Brandon Spithaler from Evans City, Pennsylvania, and Dustin Smith from Russiaville, Indiana. For Andre Layfield, the night began ominously in heat #1 when he was scheduled to start on the pole but spun to a stop while lining up. BOSS rules state that any car requiring a second push is sent to the tail. Layfield struggled home 6th in heat #1, then proceeded to half track the field in the B-Main event.
With 20 of the best traditional wingless sprint drivers in the Midwest set to do battle for 25 laps, Adam Miller and Tyler Gunn paced the field to the starter’s green flag. Miller, of McDonald, Pennsylvania, surged to a quick opening lap lead in search of his first career sprint car win. His margin was erased for the race’s only caution flag when Tyler Gunn slowed with a flat right rear tire at the completion of the first lap.
Back under green, Adam Miller quickly resumed command of the pace with Brandon Spithaler and Johnny Beaber battling for second place. For many fans, the show was watching Layfield in the QuickTime Suspensions #21 who started 16th and was up to 7th in just 5 laps. Layfield flirted dangerously close to the steel guardrail in turn 1 and 2 on many occasions, but managed to pick off one car after the other, then suddenly found himself in the top 5.
As the laps quickly went by, it appeared Adam Miller was staring his first win in the eye, but contact with the wall did some minor rear end damage. This allowed Spithaler and Mike Miller to close the gap forcing a three wide battle for the top spot. Mike Miller was able to take the lead from Adam Miller (no relation) on lap 17 and suddenly it appeared he would score his first career BOSS main event win. But Andre Layfield had the “win it or wear it” attitude and mounted a furious charge over the final 5 laps.
With the white flag in the air, Layfield knew he had one final shot and he made it count. He led only the final 50 feet, but it was the final 50 feet that mattered . The crowd erupted as the cars met the start/finish line with Layfield narrowly edging Mike Miller. Michael Fischesser, the current BOSS point leader worked some heat into his American Racer tires during the long green flag run and was able to charge from 8th to finish 3rd. Early race contender Brandon Spithaler scored 4th place cash while winged superstar Kory Crabtree grabbed the 5th spot. The top 10 finishers were rounded out with Aaron Middaugh, Mike Burkin, Tony Beaber, Logan Hupp, and Chuck Wilson.
The Buckeye Machine BOSS tour now moves on to Eldora Speedway this Saturday, May 17th for family fun night. The $8 general admission will be the best value in racing all year!! Watch for more details soon!
Event #2 of 16
Wayne County Speedway – 5/10/2014
Buckeye Machine B.O.S.S 410 Sprints (26 Cars)
Heat 1 – Burdette Builders (Sunman, IN): (8 Laps – Top 5 finishers transfer to the A-feature)
1. 82-Mike Miller ; 2. 3J-Johnny Beaber ; 3. 68G-Tyler Gunn ; 4. 31-Chuck Wilson ; 5. 2M-Logan Hupp ; 6. 21-Andre Layfield ; 7. 32M-Derek Hastings ; 8. 3-Joe Butera ; 9. 8-Lewie Christain
Heat 2 – K-D Pizza (Mansfield, Ashland and Wooster, OH): (8 Laps – Top 5 finishers transfer to the A-feature)
1. 57B-Brandon Spithaler ; 2. 3T-Tony Beaber ; 3. 4-Michael Fischesser ; 4. 91x-Aaron Middaugh ; 5. 48-Mike Burkin ; 6. 10T-Tom Miller ; 7. 5-Bob McMillin ; 8. 97-Andy Fike ; 9. 59J-Kirk Jeffries DNS
Heat 3 – Cowen Truck Lines (Perrysville, OH): (8 Laps – Top 5 finishers transfer to the A-feature)
1. 77-Dustin Smith ; 2. 60-Kory Crabtree ; 3. 24M-Adam Miller ; 4. 1J-Jeremy Shambaugh ; 5. 14-Chad Wilson ; 6. 1M-Mike Moore ; 7. 10-Chris Plascek ; 8. 7R-Nick Dugherty
B-Main – Lias Tire / American Racer (10 Laps – Top 5 finishers transfer to the A-feature)
1. 21-Andre Layfield ; 2. T10-Tom Miller ; 3. 32M-Derek Hastings ; 4. 5-Bob McMillin ; 5. 1M-Mike Moore ; 6. 10-Chris Plascek ; 7. 8-Lewie Christian ; 8. 3-Joe Butera ; 9. 97-Andy Fike ; 10. 7R-Nick Daugherty
A-Main – (25 Laps)
1. 21-Andre Layfield; 2. 82-Mike Miller; 3. 4-Michael Fischesser; 4. 57B-Brandon Spithaler; 5. 60-Kory Crabtree; 6. 91x-Aaron Middaugh; 7. 48-Mike Burkin; 8. 3T-Tony Beaber; 9. 2M-Logan Hupp; 10. 31-Chuck Wilson; 11. 77-Dustin Smith; 12. 14-Chad Wilson; 13. 1J-Jeremy Shambaugh; 14. 32M-Derek Hastings; 15. 5-Bob McMillin; 16. 1M-Mike Moore; 17. 24M-Adam Miller; 18. 3J-Johnny Beaber; 19. T10-Tom Miller; 20. 68G-Tyler Gunn
Bonus Award Winners:
The Bridge Restaurant of Sidney, OH – “Hard Charger” – Andre Layfield (+15) – $50
Hochstetler Truck & Repair of Ashland, OH – “Steel Block Award” – Mike Moore – $50
Lynn Cook “a racer’s friend” of Dayton, OH – “Hard Luck Award” – Adam Miller – $50
Rusty & Cap McClure of Ashland, OH – “Lucky Pill Draw” – Tyler Gunn – Free Pit Pass/Hot Dogs for Crew
Lias Tire of Indiana, PA – “American Racer Bonus Award” – Michael Fischesser – Free Tire
Hoosier Tire Midwest – “Hoosier Tire Bonus Award” – Andre Layfield – Free Tire