From Double-X Speedway
California, MO — (June 1, 2014) — A “regular” night of racing was on tap Sunday at Double X Speedway, but some late race action in most of the feature events proved that the June 1 edition of Sunday Night Thunder was anything but “regular”. The Street Stock class took to the track first for their main event and little did those in attendance know what was about to unfold over the fifteen lap event. Pole sitter John Clancy Jr. took the top spot at the drop of the green flag and seemed set to pick up the victory. While Clancy was running the low line masterfully, there was a lot of action behind him as Dale Berry, Harlan Dowell and the rest of the field were racing bumper to bumper and door to door. A lap 10 caution saw Dowell and Chris Dunham move past Berry into the second and third spots but it was short lived as Dunham faded to sixth on lap twelve. A caution on lap thirteen bunched the field behind Clancy for a green, white checkered finish. Coming out of turn two on the last lap, Berry made a bid on the high side and out ran Clancy down the back straight away, through turn three and four and claimed the victory at the checkered flag. Following Berry and Clancy were Dowell in third, Dunham recovered to claim fourth, Cole Hanson finished fifth, Destiny Dowell finished sixth, with Tim Cressley and Keeth Strange completing the field. Heat race victories were claimed by Clancy and Berry.
Gage Winealnd picked up another victory in the Hobby Stock class. Wineland who took the lead from Eddie Lavery III on lap three, went on to take home the checkered flag in the feature event. Lavery claimed second, Will Register was third, Kevin Prall climbed from twelfth to finish fourth and Chuck Coffey rounded out the top five. The heat races were claimed by Lavery and Mike Schrader.
The 600cc Micro Sprints were also on the card for Sunday night. Jefferson City shoe Kyle Schlotz looked to have the race in the bag but Sweet Springs driver Quinton Benson forgot to make his plans known early in the race. After starting fourth Benson ran in the top four during the first half of the event. A yellow on lap 9 allowed Benson to move into second behind leader Shlotz on the restart and the pair were dead even at the white flag. Benson proved to be the stronger of the two and claimed the victor’s trophy. Schlotz was second, Ryan Marsch ran a good race and claimed third, Dwayne Benson was fourth and Scott Hathman placed fifth. The lone qualifying heat race was won by Schlotz.
The Winged Sprint Cars were on the card and provided another night of outstanding racing action. Mitchell Moore and TJ Muths led the field to the green flag and Moore took the early lead as first Muths and then Jonathan Cornell gave chase. Moore would lead the first sixteen laps before Cornell would gain the top spot on lap seventeen. Cornell would survive two more yellow flags, the last of which set up a green, white, checkerd finish. Randy Martin would advance from tenth to claim second over Moore in third, Cody Baker inn fourth and Kyle Bellm who recovered from a yellow flag event to claim fifth. Qualifying heats were claimed by Moore, Muths and Cody Baker.
“Sunday Night Thunder” continues it’s 25th season next week at the speedway located west of California, MO on Highway 50.
1. 05-Dale Berry, Tuscumbia; 2. 8-John Clancy, Jr., California; 3. 29-Harlan Dowell,Jr., Tipton; 4. 14D-Chris Dunham, California; 5. 31C-Cole Henson, Russellville; 6. 71-Destiny Dowell, Tipton; 7. 002-Tim Cressley, Tipton; 8. 7-Keeth Strange, Eldon.
1. Clancy,Jr.; 2. Dunham; 3. Henson; 4. Strange
1. Berry; 2. H. Dowell; 3. Cressley; 4. D. Dowell
1. 12g-Gage Wineland, Syracuse; 2. 4-Eddie Lavery III, Tipton; 3. 77-Will Register, Sedalia; 4. 14-Kevin Prall, Sedalia; 5. 171-Chuck Coffey, Windsor; 6. 2X-Rudy Wirts, California; 7. 34-Larry Dickson, Bunceton; 8. X-Jacob Hardy, Green Ridge; 9. 11-Mike Schrader, Sedalia (DNF); 10. 09R-Joe Reed, Tipton (DNF); 11. XX-AJ Wirts, California (DNF); 12. 15-Katie Goodson, Sedalia (DNF); 13. 88-Rodger Deatherage, Windsor (DNF); 14. 4A-Laura Atkinson, Eldon (DNS); 15. 4C-Doug Coffey, Windsor (DNS)
1. Lavery III; 2. Wineland; 3. Register; 4. A Wirts; 5. Reed; 6. R Wirts; 7. Atkinson (DNS); 8. D Coffey (DNS)
1. Schrader; 2. Deatherage; 3. Dickson; 4. C Coffey; 5. Hardy; 6. Goodson; 7. Prall (DNF)
600cc Micro Sprints–
1. 15B-Quinton Benson, Sweet Sp[rings; 2. 749-Kyle Schlotz, Jefferson City; 3. 2R-Ryan Marsch, Jefferson City; 4. 35B-Dwayne Benson, Sweet Springs; 5. 56-Scott Hathman, Columbia; 6. Dean Hathman, Columbia; 7. 7JR-Kameron Key, Warrensburg; 8. 44-Ayrton Gennetten, Versailles
1. Schlotz; 2. D Hathman; 3. Marsch; 4. Q Benson; 5. Key; 6. S Hathman; 7. Gennetten; 8. D Benson
Winged Sprint Cars–
1. 28-Jonathan Cornell, Sedalia; 2. 0-Randy Martin, California; 3. 00-Mitchell Moore, Edgerton, KS; 4. 38-Cody Baker, Lone Jack; 5. 77-Kyle Bellm, Nixa; 6. 65-TJ Muths, Sedalia; 7. 4-Evan Martin, California; 8. 31-Bryan Grimes, Slater; 9. 34-Corey Nelson, Eugene; 10. 75E-Broc Elliott, California; 11. 5-Matt Close, LaMonte; 12. 14-Andrew Turley, Sedlaia; 13. 49B-Ben Brown, Marshall; 14. 10-Will Register, Sedalia; 15. XX-AJ Wirts, California; 16. 24-Lanny Carpenter, Clarksburg (DNF); 17. 93-Taylor Walton, Warrensburg (DNF); 18. 17-Josh Baughman, Odessa,TX (DNF); 19. 75-Tyler Blank, California (DNF); 20. 9-Casey Baker, Lone Jack (DNF)
1. Moore; 2. Cornell; 3. Blank; 4. R Martin; 5. Grimes; 6. Nelson; 7. Wirts (DNF)
1. Muths; 2. Bellm; 3. E Martin; 4. Close; 5. Elliott; 6. Register (DNF); 7. Ca Baker (DNS)
1. Co Baker; 2. Carpenter; 3. Baughman; 4. Walton; 5. Turley; 6. Brown (DNF); 7. Jeff Wingate (DNS)