From Trail-Way Speedway
Hanover, PA (06/25/10) – “If you’re not first, you’re last.”
So exclaimed a jubilant Tim Wagaman after a wildly popular win in the 25-lap “358” sprint car feature at Trail-Way Speedway Friday night.
“This is what my family works for every week,” continued Wagaman upon exiting his Zeigler Kitchens/Delco Signs/Smith Motorsports/Hoosier Tire Mid-Atlantic #1 after his first career sprint car feature win.
And Wagaman did it in grand style, coming from 11th starting spot to power around Troy Becker on a 20th lap restart for the lead and then holding off 12th-starting Dale Hammaker over the last two laps.
“I knew if Dale passed me, he would have to do it on the top. He raced me clean,” said Wagaman, “This is the best feeling in racing…even better than I thought!”
Points leader Brad McClelland blew a motor in his qualifying event and failed to start the feature. Hammaker’s second-place finish vaulted him into the Trail-Way points lead.
Tenth-starting Joe Trone, Jr. crossed third, followed by Randy Whisler and Mike Bittinger.
Sixth through tenth were 20th-starting Randy Davis, Jr., 17th-starting Nick Palmerino, Trevor Little, Brian Suchy, and Becker.
Heats for the 22 “358” sprint cars on hand were won by Billy Heltzel III, Bittinger, and Trone.
Sam Gallagher chased Kyle Martin for 16 laps before making the race-winning pass in turns one and two of the final lap and score his second win in-a-row in the 20-lap thundercar feature.
Martin, who started on the pole, led every lap except the last, and then poured salt his wound when he spun in turn four coming to the checkered. He was credited with a fifth-place finish.
Second through fourth were Will Walls, Rick Weaver, and Matt Wampler.
The lone thundercar heat was won by Martin.
Pat McClane raced to his first career Trail-Way win in the 20-lap Extreme Stock feature.
Polesitter Chris Heller led the first six laps before dropping to the infield with motor problems. That handed the lead to Jeremy Stremmel, who led the next three laps until sixth-starting McClane took over. Stremmel dropped to the infield with a flat tire on lap 14, moving Brent Hake into the runner-up spot.
One lap later, hard charger Doug Bennett got past Hake for second, but he was unable to catch McClane. Timothy Hahn crossed third.
Extreme Stock heats were won by Bennett and Heller.
Kyle Rohrbaugh made it two in-a-row and third win of the season in the 12-lap limited stock feature. Tom Senseney, Jr. and 18th-starting Brad Kress completed the top three.
Heats for the 22 limited stocks were won by Terry Hartlaub and Brian Walls. Jason Chronister took the checkered in the consolation event.
Tomorrow (6/26), Trail-Way Speedway will host opening night of the PA 600 Speedweek. Also on the schedule are the 270cc Micro Sprints and 1000cc Sidewinders. Gates open at 4:00 p.m. with racing beginning at 6:30 p.m.
Next Friday (7/2), the 358 Sprints Cars are on the schedule with the Thundercars, All American Outlaws and Limited Stocks. Gates open at 5:30 p.m. and racing begins at 7:30 p.m.
Next Saturday (7/3), Trail-Way Speedway will hold an Independence Day Special with the Junk Cars. Also on the schedule are the Figure 8’s, Powder Puffs, and Starlite 6-cylinder and 4-cylinder Oval Cars. Gates open at 4:00 p.m. with racing beginning at 6:00 p.m.
For all the latest news and related information from Trail-Way Speedway, fans are reminded to visit the speedway website at www.trail-wayspeedway.com. The complete story and agate from each race night is posted shortly after the final checkered falls.
Trail-Way Speedway June 25, 2010
358 Sprint Cars
Feature (25 Laps)
1. 1-Tim Wagaman; 2. 66-Dale Hammaker; 3. 99-Joe Trone, Jr.; 4. 64-Randy Whisler; 5. 12-Mike Bittinger; 6. 98-Randy Davis, Jr.; 7. 51N-Nick Palmerino; 8. 20-Trevor Little; 9. 27-Brian Suchy; 10. 98B-Troy Becker(DNF); 11. 18J-Jessie Morrison(DNF); 12. 33T-Todd Spangler(DNF); 13. 50B-Tim Berkheimer(DNF); 14. 33-Billy Heltzel III(DNF); 15. 10W-Brian Bruckner(DNF); 16. 21-Scott Fisher(DNF); 17. 10-Zach Euculano(DNF); 18. 01-Rick Horn(DNF); 19. 11D-Mike Duncan, Jr.(DNF); 20. 28-Keith Prutzman(DNS); 21. 6-Brad McClelland(DNS); 22. 2S-Francis Sesco(DNS). No Time.
Lap Leaders- Billy Heltzel III (1), Troy Becker (2-19), Tim Wagaman (20-25).
Heat 1 (10 Laps/All to Qualify)
1. 33-Billy Heltzel III; 2. 64-Randy Whisler; 3. 98B-Troy Becker; 4. 01-Rick Horn; 5. 18J-Jessie Morrison; 6. 28-Keith Prutzman(DNF); 7. 6- Brad McClelland(DNF); 8. 2S-Francis Sesco(DNF). No Time.
Heat 2 (10 Laps/All to Qualify)
1. 12-Mike Bittinger; 2. 1-Tim Wagaman; 3. 20-Trevor Little; 4. 27-Brian Suchy; 5. 33T-Todd Spangler; 6. 51N-Nick Palmerino; 7. 98-Randy Davis, Jr.(DNF). Time 2:29.36.
Heat 3 (10 Laps/All to Qualify)
1. 99-Joe Trone, Jr.; 2. 10W-Brian Bruckner; 3. 66-Dale Hammaker; 4. 21-Scott Fisher(DNF); 5. 10-Zach Euculano(DNF); 6. 50B-Tim Berkheimer(DNF); 7. 11D-Mike Duncan(DNS). Time 2:23.67.
Feature (20 Laps)
1. 25-Sam Gallagher; 2. 21W-Will Walls; 3. 70-Rick Weaver; 4. 100-Matt Wampler; 5. 54-Kyle Martin; 6. 2W-Brian Walls(DNF); 7. 55W-Tom Walls, Jr.(DNF); 8. 8MD-David Prunkl(DNF); 9. 8J-Justin Bittle(DNS). No Time.
Lap Leaders- Kyle Martin (1-19), Sam Gallagher (20).
Heat 1 (8 Laps/All to Qualify)
1. 54-Kyle Martin; 2. 25-Sam Gallagher; 3. 8J-Justin Bittle; 4. 21W-Will Walls; 5. 70-Rick Weaver; 6. 2W-Brian Walls; 7. 8MD-David Prunkl; 8. 100-Matt Wampler; 9. 55W-Tom Walls, Jr. Time 2:32.98.
Feature (20 Laps)
1. 39-Patrick McClane; 2. 7M-Doug Bennett; 3. 659H-Timothy Hahn; 4. 91-Brent Hake; 5. 42-Adam Smith; 6. 28M-Greg Miller; 7. 657-Rich Day; 8. 5M-Gary Calimer, Jr.(DNF); 9. 99-Jeremy Stremmel(DNF); 10. 51X-Matt Sowers(DNF); 11. 33-Chris Heller(DNF); 12. 77-Mark Reece(DNF). No Time.
Lap Leaders- Chris Heller (1-6), Jeremy Stremmel (7-9), Patrick McClane (10-20).
Heat 1 (8 Laps/All to Qualify)
1. 7M-Doug Bennett; 2. 51X-Matt Sowers; 3. 659H-Timothy Hahn; 4. 91-Brent Hake; 5. 657-Rich Day; 6. 28M-Greg Miller. Time 2:15.95.
Heat 2 (8 Laps/All to Qualify)
1. 33-Chris Heller; 2. 39-Patrick McClane; 3. 99-Jeremy Stremmel; 4. 42-Adam Smith; 5. 77-Mark Reece(DNF); 6. 5M-Gary Calimer, Jr.(DNF). No Time.
Feature (12 Laps)
1. 12-Kyle Rohrbaugh; 2. 25-Tom Senseney, Jr.; 3. 56-Brad Kress; 4. 39-Shane Miller; 5. 3-Rod Weaver; 6. 85-Wayne Blevins; 7. 48-Lem Crawford; 8. 96-Sarah Redmond; 9. 97-Jeremy Humme; 10.69-Robbie Carroll; 11. 18-Joe Racine; 12. 42-Robert Nicklow(DNF); 13. 5-Daryl Hanson(DNF); 14. 95-Brian Walls(DNF); 15. 38-Jason Chronister(DNF); 16. 92-Terry Hartlaub(DNF); 17. 88-Wesley Miller(DNF); 18. 21-Ricky Weaver, Jr.(DNF); 19. 24-Donald Hopkins, Jr.(DNF); 20. 81-Matt Chronister(DNF); 21. 46-Jason Ragland(DNS). No Time.
Lap Leaders- Matt Chronister (1), Tom Senseney, Jr. (2-4), Kyle Rohrbaugh (5-12).
Heat 1 (6 Laps/7 to Qualify)
1. 92-Terry Hartlaub; 2. 12-Kyle Rohrbaugh; 3. 24-Donald Hopkins, Jr.; 4. 3-Rod Weaver; 5. 25-Tom Senseney, Jr.; 6. 85-Wayne Blevins; 7. 18-Joe Racine; 8. 38-Jason Chronister; 9. 48-Lem Crawford; 10. 46-Jason Ragland; 11. 01-Chelsea Weaver. Time 2:09.42.
Heat 2 (6 Laps/7 to Qualify)
1. 95-Brian Walls; 2. 81-Matt Chronister; 3. 69-Robbie Carroll; 4. 39-Shane Miller; 5. 42-Robert Nicklow; 6. 5-Daryl Hanson; 7. 96-Sarah Redmond; 8. 97-Jeremy Humme; 9. 56-Brad Kress(DNF); 10. 88-Wesley Miller(DNF); 11. 21-Ricky Weaver, Jr.(DNS). Time 2:09.27.
Consi (6 Laps/6 to Qualify)
1. 38-Jason Chronister; 2. 48-Lem Crawford; 3. 21-Ricky Weaver, Jr.; 4. 88-Wesley Miller; 5. 56-Brad Kress(DNF); 6. 46-Jason Ragland(DNF); 7. 97-Jeremy Humme(DNF); 8. 01-Chelsea Weaver(DNS). No Time.