By Tony Veneziano
LaSalle, IL-July 6, 2010- The Showdown for the Bud Crown comes down to one final race this week as the World of Outlaws invade LaSalle Speedway in Illinois for Kasey’s King of LaSalle Presented By Budweiser on Thursday, July 8. The event will mark the World of Outlaws first visit to the high-banked and always racy ¼-mile since 2004.
The Showdown championship battle tests drivers on three very different types of tracks. Rounds 1 and 2 were at the high-banked Volunteer Speedway in Bulls Gap, Tennessee and Round 3 was at the big half-mile of Missouri State Fair Speedway.
Jason Meyers is leading the Showdown for the Bud Crown championship, followed by Paul McMahan (-36), Steve Kinser (-39), Donny Schatz (-76) and Danny Lasoski (-102). Joey Saldana won the opening round at Volunteer Speedway, with Meyers winning the second night at Volunteer and Jason Sides capturing the third leg at Missouri State Fair Speedway. Drivers earn points in the Showdown championship during time trials, heat races and the main event, so heading into LaSalle the fight for the crown is wide open. Following Kasey’s King of LaSalle on Thursday night, the top three in points will share a $15,000 bonus.
Danny Lasoski, the 2001 World of Outlaws champion, was victorious in the series last visit to LaSalle Speedway in 2004. Steve Kinser, the 20-time World of Outlaws champion, is the only driver that has won twice with the series at the high-banked ¼-mile, including winning the inaugural World of Outlaws event at the track in 2004. That pair are the only drivers currently competing with the series that have won at the track.
A total of six drivers have visited Victory Lane with the series at LaSalle Speedway in seven races dating back to 1994.
The battle at the top of the World of Outlaws standings continues to be tight entering Kasey’s King of LaSalle, with just 27 markers separating the Top-Three, with Joey Saldana on top, Steve Kinser second and Jason Meyers third. The series has completed 32 A-Feature events thus far in 2010. Meyers lead the series with seven wins, while Saldana leads in Top-Five finishes with 21 and Kinser holds the top spot in Top-10 runs with 30.
* Jason Meyers looks to wrap up the title in the Showdown for the Bud Crown at LaSalle Speedway and also close to gap on Joey Saldana and Steve Kinser in the World of Outlaws championship standings. He has finished first, sixth and seventh in the three Showdown races, setting fast time in two of those events.
* Paul McMahan, who is second in the Bud Crown standings, has made two career starts at LaSalle Speedway, finishing eighth in his most recent start in 2004.
* Danny Lasoski looks to repeat at LaSalle Speedway, having won in the World of Outlaws last visit to the track in 2004. The 2001 series champion is looking for his first win of 2010.
* Steve Kinser is the only driver that has won more than once with the World of Outlaws at LaSalle, taking the checkered flag first in 1994 and 1999.
* Jac Haudenschild finished second in his most recent start at LaSalle Speedway in 1998. The Hall of Famer has four finishes of sixth or better in five career starts at the high-banked bullring.
* Donny Schatz, the four-time and defending World of Outlaws champion, finished fourth at LaSalle Speedway in 2004 to earn his best finish at the ¼-mile.
* Sammy Swindell, the three-time World of Outlaws champion, who won at LaSalle in 1996 will be in attendance. The Hall of Famer has won twice this season with the series.
* Lucas Wolfe, Sam Hafertepe Jr., Chad Kemenah, Ben Gregg, Brian Ellenberger and Toni Lutar will all be making their first career starts at LaSalle Speedway this week.
By the Numbers: Kasey’s King of LaSalle Presented By Budweiser
0.25- Miles around LaSalle Speedway
1- Race this season in the state of Illinois for the World of Outlaws; Driver that has competed in all seven events for the series at LaSalle Speedway- Steve Kinser
2- Drivers contending for the Kevin Gobrecht Rookie of the Year Award in 2010
3- Races this season on ¼-mile tracks for the World of Outlaws thus far; Drivers that have won on ¼-mile tracks this season with the series
4- Races that comprise the Showdown for the Bud Crown
6- Drivers that have won with the World of Outlaws at LaSalle Speedway; Track records that have been established in time trials at World of Outlaws events this season
7- A-Feature events the World of Outlaws have contested at LaSalle Speedway; A-Feature wins for Jason Meyers this season to lead the series
9- Drivers competing full-time with the World of Outlaws this season that raced at LaSalle with the series in 2004
10.368 – Track record established by Brandon Wimmer in time trials in 2004
12- Drivers that have won A-Feature events with the World of Outlaws this season
13- Drivers that have been quickest in time trials this season
15- Drivers that have won a dash this season to earn a pole position
16- Drivers currently competing full-time with the World of Outlaws
20- Points that separate Joey Saldana and Steve Kinser at the top of the World of Outlaws standings
21- Top-Five finishes for Joey Saldana this season to lead the series; Drivers that have led laps in A-Feature events this season
30- Top-10 finishes for Steve Kinser through July 3 to lead the series
36- Points that separate Jason Meyers and Paul McMahan in Showdown for the Bud Crown Standings
47- Drivers that have competed in at least one of the first three races in the Showdown for the Bud Crown
179- Laps led by Joey Saldana this season to lead the series
1994- Year the World of Outlaws first raced at LaSalle Speedway
2004- Year the World of Outlaws last competed at LaSalle Speedway
10,000- Dollars the winner will receive on Thursday, July 8
15,000- Dollars that will be split among the Top-3 in the Showdown for the Bud Crown final standings after July 8
51,690- Dollars in the total purse on Thursday, July 8
138,400 – Dollars earned by Joey Saldana through July 3 to lead the series
On Thursday, July 8 at LaSalle Speedway, tickets for adults are $29 in advance and $35 the day of the race. Children’s Reserved Seats (12 years old and younger) are $9. For more information and to purchase tickets call: (704)-795-RACE (7223) or visit: www.worldofoutlaws.com/tickets. Camping will be available at the track (no hook-ups) on Wednesday July 7 and Thursday, July 8.
The World of Outlaws Sprint Car Series is brought to fans across the country by many important sponsors and partners, including: Armor All (Official Car Care Products), Chizmark & Larson Insurance , Goodyear Tires (Official Tire), SuperClean (Official Cleaner-Degreaser), VP Racing (Official Racing Fuel); in addition to contingency sponsors, Jake’s Custom Golf Carts, KSE Race Products, Penske Shocks , R2C Performance, Racing Electronics, S&S Volvo; Engine Builder’s Challenge participants Don Ott Racing Engines, Kistler Engines, Shaver Specialties and Speedway Engines; and Chassis Builder’s Challenge participants J&J Auto Racing, Maxim Racing and XXX Race Company.