By Tony Veneziano
New Richmond, WI-July 9, 2010- There aren’t too many tracks on the circuit that have been hosting the World of Outlaws events longer than Cedar Lake Speedway in Wisconsin. What began in 1983 will continue this weekend as the series makes their annual stop at the always racy high-banked 3/8-mile for a full night of racing. The World of Outlaws have visited the track in Western Wisconsin in 26 different seasons, with the winners list being a venerable “Who’s Who” of the sport.
The series will make their only appearance of the season at Cedar Lake on Sunday, July 11. The race also serves as the second and final race of the season for the World of Outlaws in the state of Wisconsin, following a stop at Beaver Dam Raceway on Saturday night.
Joey Saldana leads the series into Cedar Lake Speedway as he chases his first series title, with Steve Kinser and Jason Meyers not far behind him. Saldana, who has won seven times this season including on Thursday night at LaSalle Speedway, has eight Top-10 finishes at Cedar Lake in 10 starts as he looks for his first win at the track. Meyers, who leads the series with seven wins in 2010, is a perfect seven for seven in Top-10 runs at Cedar Lake.
Donny Schatz, who has claimed each of the last four World of Outlaws titles, has been victorious in two straight races for the series at Cedar Lake Speedway, a track he raced at quite a bit when he was cutting his teeth in sprint car racing in the mid 1990’s. He has won seven times overall at Cedar Lake in his career to lead all drivers that will be competing this weekend.
Steve Kinser, who is Schatz’s teammate at Tony Stewart Racing, has won five times with the World of Outlaws at Cedar Lake to lead all drivers competing full-time with the series. He has finished in the Top-10 in 25 of his 26 career starts at the track with 21 of those being Top-Fives. He finished fifth at the track last season and is currently second in points as he chases his record 21st title.
Danny Lasoski, the 2001 World of Outlaws champion, won at Cedar Lake Speedway in 1999 and has 17 career Top-10 finishes at the track. He is seeking his first win of the 2010 campaign.
Craig Dollansky was victorious at Cedar Lake in 2004 and is one of six drivers competing full-time with the series that has won at the track.
Paul McMahan won for the first time at the high-banked 3/8-mile in 2007. The veteran has one victory this season driving for Kasey Kahne Racing and is currently sixth in points.
Jac Haudenschild won at Cedar Lake back in 1989 and has 15 career Top-10 finishes at the track with nine of those being Top-Fives. He has finished fourth and fifth in each of his last two starts at the track.
· The event at Cedar Lake Speedway will be the second and final race of 2010 for the World of Outlaws in the state of Wisconsin.
· Steve Kinser has an amazing record at Cedar Lake Speedway finishing in the Top-10 in 25 of his 26 World of Outlaws starts, with 21 of those being Top-Fives. He has five wins with the series at the track and an average finish of 3.7. He is looking for his first win at Cedar Lake since 2003.
· Joey Saldana and Jason Meyers, who are first and third in points and the leading two winners this season are both looking for their first wins at Cedar Lake Speedway.
· Donny Schatz looks for his third straight win at the track and the 10th of his career. He won a number of WISSOTA races at the track early in his career.
· Danny Lasoski, who is a former winner at Cedar Lake is looking for his first win of the 2010 campaign.
· Craig Dollansky, who has won 11 career wins in the state of Wisconsin, was victorious at Cedar Lake for the first time in 2004.
· Jac Haudenschild, who has finished in the Top-Five in each of his last two starts at Cedar Lake is looking for his first win at the track since 1989.
· Lucas Wolfe and Brian Ellenberger, each of the last two Kevin Gobrecht Rookie of the Year Award winners, will be making their second career starts at Cedar Lake.
· Ben Gregg and Toni Lutar, who are contending for the Kevin Gobrecht Rookie of the Year Award this season will be making their first starts at Cedar Lake Speedway
· Sammy Swindell, who has six World of Outlaws wins at Cedar Lake will be in action. The three-time series champion last won at the track in 2002.
By the Numbers: Cedar Lake Speedway
0.375- Miles around Cedar Lake Speedway
2 -Races in the state of Wisconsin this season for the World of Outlaws
3.7- Average finish for Steve Kinser at Cedar Lake Speedway to lead all drivers
6- Wins for Sammy Swindell at Cedar Lake with the World of Outlaws to lead all drivers
7- Wins for Joey Saldana & Jason Meyers this season to lead the series
9- Career wins for Donny Schatz at Cedar Lake Speedway to lead all drivers competing with the series in 2010
10.775- Track record established by Terry McCarl in 2004
12 – Drivers that have won A-Feature events with the World of Outlaws at Cedar Lake
14- Drivers that have been quickest in time trials this season with the series
15- Drivers that have won a dash to earn a pole position in a main event in 2010
16- Drivers competing full-time with the World of Outlaws this season
21- Drivers that have led laps in feature events this season
22- Top-Five finishes for Joey Saldana through July 8 to lead the series
25- Top-10 finishes for Sreve Kinser at the track with the World of Outlaws
26- Different seasons in which the World of Outlaws have competed at Cedar Lake Speedway; Points that currently separate Joey Saldana and Steve Kinser at the top of the standings
31- Top-10 finishes for Steve Kinser through July 8 to lead the series
33- A-Feature events that have been contested through July 8
179- Laps led by Joey Saldana this season to lead the World of Outlaws
265- Miles from Beaver Dam Raceway where the World of Outlaws compete on July 10 to Cedar Lake Speedway
1983- Year the World of Outlaws first visited Cedar Lake Speedway
10,000- Dollars the winner will receive on Sunday, July 11
51,690- Dollars in the total purse on Sunday, July 11
148,400- Dollars earned by Joey Saldana this season to lead the series
On Sunday, July 11 at Cedar Lake Speedway, adult tickets will be $30, with tickets for students ages 11-16 $15 and kid ages five-under will be admitted free of charge. To purchase tickets online visit http://www.clstickets.com/tickets.asp.
The World of Outlaws Sprint Car Series is brought to fans across the country by many important sponsors and partners, including: Armor All (Official Car Care Products), Chizmark & Larson Insurance , Goodyear Tires (Official Tire), SuperClean (Official Cleaner-Degreaser), VP Racing (Official Racing Fuel); in addition to contingency sponsors, Jake’s Custom Golf Carts, KSE Race Products, Penske Shocks , R2C Performance, Racing Electronics, S&S Volvo; Engine Builder’s Challenge participants Don Ott Racing Engines, Kistler Engines, Shaver Specialties and Speedway Engines; and Chassis Builder’s Challenge participants J&J Auto Racing, Maxim Racing and XXX Race Company.