From Bob Fricke
The Elwer Fence Sprints 25-lap feature had the possibility of producing some front row dominance as week one winner Kyle Sauder and co-points leader Caleb Helms made up the top two starting positions. Sauder, racing his familiar AAA sponsored 7K car was impressive to start the season on June 3rd and looked equally fast through four laps a week age until he hit the turn one wall. Helms produced a 5th and 6th place result through the first two weeks despite starting outside of the top ten.
On this night, Kyle Sauder headed for the cushion and actually ran mostly next to the wall from the start of the race. Helms and veteran Mike Dussel held the second and third positions for most of the event although neither really looked to make a serious run at Sauder. It was largely a Friday night stroll at high speeds around the Limaland Motorsports Park oval for Sauder until Dussel’s right rear tire blew out through lap nineteen.
On the restart with six laps remaining, Helms tried to hang with Sauder up by the wall until it appeared he made contact with the unforgiving barrier and the ensuing damage to his car forced him out of the race without power on the back straight. Sauder took a white flag restart and stormed to his second win in three weeks and 9th all-time at Limaland Motorsports Park. Butch Schroeder and Caleb Griffith were the other podium finishers, but were never a factor in overtaking Sauder.
“Last week was rough for me,” recounted Sauder. “We had a good car here on Friday and I crashed it on my own. Saturday at KC Raceway I had another good car and was taken out by some other cars. For me tonight it was about hitting my marks and not making mistakes. Starting position means a lot and I was fortunate to do something with it.”
Results – Limaland Motorsports Park – 6/17/2011
Elwer Fence Sprints
Heat 1 – (8 Laps – Top 4 Transfer)
1. 17-Jared Horstman; 2. 22D-Dennis Yoakam; 3. 57-Mike Dunlap; 4. 20B-Butch Schroeder; 5.34-Luke Hall; 6. 82-Mike Miller; 7. 1-Kent Wolters; 8. 32M-Derek Hastings; 9. 4J-Bob Gehr
Heat 2 – (8 Laps – Top 4 Transfer)
1. 3T-Tony Beaber; 2. 6-Mike Dussel; 3. 35S-Stuart Brubake; 4. 28H-Hud Horton;
5. 4U-Rick Boughan; 6. 2H-Dallas Hewitt; 7. 61X-Don Smith; 8. 2-Brent Gehr
Heat 3 – (8 Laps – Top 4 Transfer)
1. 7C-Tim Hunter; 2. 40-Caleb Helms; 3. 49T-Gregg Dalman; 4. 18-Todd Heuerman; 5. 27-Beau Stewart; 6. 5M-Max Stambaugh; 7. 41J-Jeremy Powley; 8. 10J-Jarrod Delong
Heat 4 – (8 Laps – Top 4 Transfer)
1. 12M-Caleb Griffith; 2. 7K-Kyle Sauder; 3. 11-Tim Allison; 4. 6S-Nate Dussel; 5. 49-Shawn Dancer; 6. 27K-Mark Aldridge; 7. 22DH-Randy Hannagan; 8. 2M-Matt Westfall
A-Main – (25 Laps)
1. 7K-Kyle Sauder; 2. B20-Butch Schroeder; 3. 12M-Caleb Griffith; 4. 49T-Gregg Dalman; 5. 3T-Tony Beaber; 6. 7C-Tim Hunter; 7. 22H-Randy Hannagan; 8. 35s-Stuart Brubaker; 9. 17-Jared Horstman; 10. 6S-Nate Dussel; 11. 34-Luke Hall; 12. 22D-Dennis Yoakam; 13. 28H-Hud Horton; 14. 11-Tim Allison; 15. 57-Mike Dunlap; 16. 2H-Dallas Hewitt; 17. 27K- Mark Aldridge; 18. 40-Caleb Helms; 19. 6-Nate Dussel; 20. 18-Todd Heuerman;