From Trail-Way Speedway
Hanover, PA — (April 27, 2012) — J.B. Cunningham’s goal was to come out this season and be competitive, and he certainly was in claiming his first career win in the 358 sprint car feature at Trail-Way Speedway Friday night.
“We’ve been fast but couldn’t get any breaks,” said a happy Cunningham upon exiting his One Stop Motors/Stoner’s Family Farms/M-Squared Performance #7c in victory lane, “And I left my crew down a few times. My hat is off to Tim (Wagaman), who raced me clean.”
Cunningham started on the outside of the front row and beat polesitter Randy Whisler to the first turn. The former Trail-Way micro-sprint driver paced the field the rest of the way.
“I thought the race would never end,” said Cunningham, who along with the rest of the field sat through two red flags for the flipping cars of points leader Kyle Moody (lap 5) and Steve Owings (lap 11). Both drivers flipped in turn one, and both drivers were uninjured.
Wagaman started fifth and was in second by the second lap. He ran there the rest of the way, with Austin Hogue crossing third, hard charger Brad McClelland (who started 12th) fourth, and Keith Prutzman fifth. Sixth through tenth were Wes Irwin, Mike Bittinger, Joe Trone, Jr., Zach Euculano, and Jacob Allen.
Eighth-starting Owings flipped for the second straight week, after rolling over Wagaman’s wheel while racing for second.
Heats for the 18 “358” sprints were won by Hogue and Cunningham.
Michael Goodwin came from ninth starting spot to claim the lead from Joe Racine on lap 12 and drive to the win in a wild 20-lap Extreme Stock feature.
Goodwin actually drove into the infield to avoid lapped cars just after taking the lead, nearly losing it again to Racine. But Racine was dealing with the same lapped cars and couldn’t make the pass. Racine settled for second with Timothy Hahn third.
Heats for the 12 Extreme Stocks were won by Tim Osheehan and Dan Furman, who came from last to fourth in the feature before catching on fire and pulling into the infield.
Defending track champ Kyle Rohrbaugh assumed the lead when Ricky Weaver, Jr. dropped from the field during a lap six caution and won his first race of the year in the 15-lap limited stock feature.
Shane Miller crossed second, followed by Chad Weaver, 21st-starting Rod Weaver, and 18th-starting Sarah Redmond.
Heats for the 22 limited stocks were won by Ricky Weaver, Jr. and Miller.
Tomorrow night (4/28), Trail-Way will host the 600cc and 270cc Micro Sprints, Scramble Cars, Limited Stocks and Strictly Stocks. Gates open at 4:00 p.m. with racing beginning at 6:00 p.m.
Next Friday (5/4), Trail-Way will host the 358 Sprints, Limited Stocks, and 1000cc Sidewinder Sprints. Gates open at 5:30 p.m. with racing beginning at 7:30 p.m.
Go kart racing comes to Trail-Way Speedway next Saturday (5/5) and Sunday (5/6). The “East Meets West” Series is expected to draw close to 300 go karts, culminating with a PDKS Kart Series event on Sunday. Gates on Saturday (5/5) open at 4:00 p.m. and racing begins at 6:00 p.m. On Sunday (5/6), gates open at 5:00 a.m. with racing beginning at 11:00 a.m.
For all the latest news and related information from Trail-Way Speedway, fans are reminded to visit the speedway website at www.trail-wayspeedway.com. The complete story and agate from each race night is posted shortly after the final checkered falls.
Trail-Way Speedway April 27, 2012
358 Sprint Cars
Feature (25 Laps)
1. 7C-J.B. Cunningham; 2. 1-Tim Wagaman; 3. 52-Austin Hogue; 4. 6R-Brad McClelland; 5. 28-Keith Prutzman; 6. 9-Wes Irwin; 7. 12-Mike Bittinger; 8. 99-Joe Trone, Jr.; 9. 10-Zach Euculano; 10. 1A-Jacob Allen; 11. 64-Randy Whistler; 12. 89-Ashley Cappetta(DNF); 13. 5A-Brian Allman(DNF); 14. 35-Steve Owings(DNF); 15. 99M-Kyle Moody(DNF); 16. 11D-Mike Duncan, Jr.(DNF); DNS: 69-Shane Hoff, 29-Ryan Wilson. No Time.
Lap Leaders- J.B. Cunningham (1-25).
Heat 1 (8 Laps/All to Qualify)
1. 52-Austin Hogue; 2. 6R-Brad McClelland; 3. 12-Mike Bittinger; 4. 64-Randy Whisler; 5. 35-Steve Owings; 6. 99-Joe Trone, Jr.; 7. 69-Shane Hoff; 8. 5A-Brian Allman(DNF); 9. 89-Ashley Cappetta(DNF). Time 2:20.34.
Heat 2 (8 Laps/All to Qualify)
1. 7C-J.B. Cunningham; 2. 9-Wes Irwin; 3. 28-Keith Prutzman; 4. 99M-Kyle Moody; 5. 1-Tim Wagaman; 6. 10-Zach Euculano; 7. 1A-Jacob Allen; 8. 11D-Mike Duncan, Jr.; DNS: 29-Ryan Wilson. Time 2:21.00.
Feature (20 Laps)
1. 33-Michael Goodwin; 2. 74-Joe Racine; 3. 659H-Timothy Hahn; 4. 77-Justin Mitchell; 5. 3-Larry Landis; 6. 51X-Tim Osheehan; 7. 75-Jim Smith; 8. 7-Matt Johnson; 9. 32-Tom Hartman; 10. 11-Cheri La Claire; 11. 27-Kate Raively; 12. 5M-Dan Furman. Time 8:23.50.
Lap Leaders- Joe Racine (1-11), Michael Goodwin (12-20).
Heat 1 (8 Laps/All to Qualify)
1. 51X-Tim Osheehan; 2. 3-Larry Landis; 3. 7-Matt Johnson; 4. 75-Jim Smith; 5. 32-Tom Hartman; 6. 11-Cheri La Claire(DNF). Time 2:43.03.
Heat 2 (8 Laps/All to Qualify)
1. 5M-Dan Furman; 2. 74-Joe Racine; 3. 659H-Timothy Hahn; 4. 77-Justin Mitchell; 5. 33-Michael Goodwin; 6. 27-Kate Raively. No Time.
Friday Limited Stocks
Feature (15 Laps)
1. 12-Kyle Rohrbaugh; 2. 39-Shane Miller; 3. 2-Chad Weaver; 4. 3-Rod Weaver; 5. 96-Sarah Redmond; 6. 38-Jason Chronister; 7. 37-Cory Weishaar; 8. 17-Brian Blank, Jr.; 9. 10-Aaron Levin; 10. 01Chealsea Weaver; 11. 85-Mike Warner; 12. 94-Kenny Startzman; 13. 81- Matt Chronister; 14. 16-Julio Perez(DNF); 15. 59-Ryan Smith(DNF); 16. 69-Robbie Carroll(DNF); 17. 98-Rob Nicklow(DNF); 18. 5-Daryl Hanson(DNF); 19.21-Ricky Weaver, Jr.(DNF); 20. 15-Nick McDaniel(DNF); 21. 25-Allen Haines(DNF); 22. 92-Terry Hartlaub(DNF). No Time.
Lap Leaders- Ricky Weaver, Jr. (1-5), Kyle Rohrbaugh (6-15).
Heat 1 (6 Laps/All to Qualify)
1. 21-Ricky Weaver, Jr.; 2. 2-Chad Weaver; 3. 37-Cory Weishaar; 4. 98-Daniel Hamm, Jr.; 5. 92-Terry Hartlaub; 6. 12-Kyle Rohrbaugh; 7. 01-Chesea Weaver; 8. 94-Kenny Startzman; 9. 17-Brian Blank, Jr.(DNF); 10. 81-Matt Chronister(DNF); 11. 96-Sarah Redmond(DNF). Time 2:02.69.
Heat 2 (6 Laps/All to Qualify)
1. 39-Shane Miller; 2. 38-Jason Chronister; 3. 69-Robbie Carroll; 4. 5-Daryl Hanson; 5. 25-Allen Haines; 6. 59-Ryan Smith; 7. 3-Rod Weaver; 8. 15-Nick McDaniel; 9. 16-Julio Perez; 10. 85-Mike Warner; 11. 10-Aaron Levin(DNF). No Time.