By Tony Veneziano
Lima, Ohio–July 13, 2010- There a select few races that sprint car drivers want to win at some point in their career with the prestige that accompanies being victorious in of these events. The Brad Doty Classic certainly fits the bill, as it has long honored the Hall of Famer and is a race that he promotes as well and has helped build into one of the “Must See” races of the year on the World of Outlaws schedule.
The Ohio Logistics 22nd Annual Brad Doty Classic Presented by Racing Optics is set to take the green flag on Wednesday, July 14 at Limaland Motorsports Park in Ohio and continues a busy stretch for the World of Outlaws which has the series competing 15 times in a 31-day stretch.
Steve Kinser, the 20-time World of Outlaws champion, who competed against Doty in the early days of the series won the event for the second time in his illustrious career last year and is the only driver that has won the famed race twice. Kinser has won four times in his career with the World of Outlaws at Limaland Motorsports Park, which is a racy ¼-mile bullring.
Jac Haudenschild, who grew up with Doty in Ohio and also raced against him as both were cutting their teeth in the sprint car ranks, won the race honoring his long friend for the first time in 2007. The Hall of Famer has competed in five World of Outlaws events over the years at Limaland Motorsports Park and has finished seventh or better in four of those starts.
Joey Saldana, the current World of Outlaws point leader, won the Brad Doty Classic in 2006, the first year it was held at Limaland Motor Sports Park. The Indiana native is the current World of Outlaws point leader and leads the series in wins with eight as well as Top-Five finishes with 23 as he chases his first series title.
Jason Meyers, who has won seven times this year, won the Brad Doty Classic in 2008 with a thrilling last lap pass of Steve Kinser. He followed that up with a runner-up finish in the race last season. In three career starts at Limaland Motorsports Park, the California native has finished on the podium each and every time.
The World of Outlaws raced at Limaland Motorsports Park for the first time in 1978, during the series inaugural season, with Hall of Famer and Ohio native Rick Ferkel winning that race. Steve Kinser was victorious in the series next three visits to the track and leads all drivers with the series with four wins at the ¼-mile in his career.
· Steve Kinser is one of two drivers currently competing full-time with the World of Outlaws that raced against Brad Doty. He is the winningest driver with the series at Limaland Motorsports Park.
· Jason Meyers has finished on the podium in each of his three visits to Limaland Motorsports Park for the Brad Doty Classic. He won the event in 2008, was second last year and was third in his debut at the track in 2007.
· Jac Haudenschild won the Brad Doty Classic in 2007 and has four Top-10 finishes with the world of Outlaws in five starts at Limaland.
· Joey Saldana won the Brad Doty Classic for the first time in 2006 and has three career wins at Limaland Motorsports Park dating back to 1999. He has 10 career Top-10 finishes at the track.
· Donny Schatz has four Top-10 finishes in each of his four starts at Limaland Motorsports Park, with two Top-Fives as he looks for his first win at the track.
· Craig Dollansky has finished eighth or better in each of the last four visits to Limaland Motorsports Park for the World of Outlaws.
· Sammy Swindell, the three-time World of Outlaws champion who raced as against Brad Doty will be in attendance at Limaland Motorsports Park for the second consecutive year.
· Ben Gregg, one of the contenders for the Kevin Gobrecht Rookie of the Year award this season, who is originally from Ohio, will be making his second visit to Limaland Motorsports Park as he debuted at the track in 2007 during Ohio Speedweek.
· Toni Lutar, who is also a contender for the rookie title this year, will be making his debut at the ¼-mile bullring.
By the Numbers: Brad Doty Classic
0.25- Miles around Limaland Motorsports Park
2- Drives currently competing full-time with the World of Outlaws that hail from Ohio- Jac Haudenschild and Chad Kemenah
3- Drivers that led laps in the main event of the Brad Doty Classic last year
4- Wins for Steve Kinser with the World of Outlaws at the track to lead all drivers
5- Drivers that have won A-Feature events with the World of Outlaws at the track
6- Laps led by Steve Kinser en route to winning the Brad Doty Classic in 2009; Races scheduled in the state of Ohio this season for the World of Outlaws
8- A-Feature events held at Limaland by the World of Outlaws since 1978
10.958- Track record established by Shane Stewart in time trials at Limaland Motorsports Park in 2008
11- World of Outlaws A-Feature wins for Brad Doty in his career
12- Drivers that have won A-Feature events with the World of Outlaws this season
14- Laps led by Jason Meyers en route to a runner-up finish in the event last season
15- Drivers that have won the dash this season to earn a pole position in a main event
18- Cars passed by Jac Haudenschild to earn the KSE Racing Products Hard Charger Award in the event last season, coming from 23rd to fifth
21- Editions of the Brad Doty Classic that have been help prior to this season
23- Top-Five finishes for Joey Saldana through July 11 to lead the series
26- Points that currently separate Joey Saldana and Steve Kinser at the top of the World of Outlaws standings
33- Top-10 finishes for Steve Kinser through July 11 to lead the series
42- Drivers that competed in the Brad Doty Classic last season
82.132 -Track record in miles per hour
214- Laps led in feature events this season by Joey Saldana to lead the series
623- Miles from Cedar Lake Speedway in Wisconsin where the World of Outlaws race on July 11 to Limaland Motorsports Park in Ohio
1978- Year the World of Outlaws first raced at Limaland Motorsports Park
10,000- Dollars the winner will receive on Wednesday, July 14
51,690- Dollars in the total purse on Wednesday, July 14
159,600- Dollars earned by Joey Saldana through July 11 to lead the series
On Wednesday, July 14 at Limaland Motorsports Park, adult general admission tickets will be $27, with general admission tickets for those ages 11-15 $15, with kids 10-under admitted free of charge in the general admission section. Reserved tickets will be $32, with pit side reserved tickets $40. For ticket information visit www.limaland.com or call 419-998-3199.
The World of Outlaws Sprint Car Series is brought to fans across the country by many important sponsors and partners, including: Armor All (Official Car Care Products), Chizmark & Larson Insurance , Goodyear Tires (Official Tire), SuperClean (Official Cleaner-Degreaser), VP Racing (Official Racing Fuel); in addition to contingency sponsors, Jake’s Custom Golf Carts, KSE Race Products, Penske Shocks , R2C Performance, Racing Electronics, S&S Volvo; Engine Builder’s Challenge participants Don Ott Racing Engines, Kistler Engines, Shaver Specialties and Speedway Engines; and Chassis Builder’s Challenge participants J&J Auto Racing, Maxim Racing and XXX Race Company.